Tuning Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning Problems

Hi, I have a guitar with a Standard Fender Style Tremolo. The guitar has three spring, and I'm using 10-46 Strings. When I use the tremolo the guitar goes slightly out of tune. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix the problem. Could it be the way I restring the guitar. Which method is the best for restring a standard trem?

Rudy

Re: Tuning Problems

Standard trems just go out of tune easily, especially when you use the trem. Assuming the setup is good, you can try putting some graphite powder or other lubricant in the nut and on the saddles. Or you can replace the nut with one of the graphite or other synthetic types. Locking tuners should help as well.

YOu could also try using the fender "bullet" strings, as they don't have a regular ball end, it is a little bullet shaped piece of metal that fits in the trem block better-supposedly it helps the tuning problem slightly.

The only other way I know of to keep standard trems in tune is to block them completely.

Comment

Or you can try these, kinda pricey . http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...ing_Locks.html

Add some locking tuners and you should have a guitar with the tuning stability of a double locker(which is what it would be i guess)but the looks of a stock strat type bridge. Plus when you broke a string you could just feed it through and relock it in the bridge!This is just a thought cause you would have to dish out quite a bit of cash.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I noticed today, that when I stretch the strings it goes back in tune. Like, when you restring a guitar and stretch the strings to settle in. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Rudy

Comment

The tuning problems of Fender-style tremolos were researched extensively in the late 1970s by a guy named Floyd Rose. He eventually solved all the problems [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Dude, seriously, it will never ever NOT go out of tune if you use the bar. No matter what anyone has ever told you, or what anyone has ever said here or anywhere else, a non-locking tremolo will go out of tune, even if you use graphite saddles, a graphite/rolling/self-oiling nut, and locking tuners.

Newc

[ February 23, 2004, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You may not be able to completely fix it but you can dramatically improve the situation. All of the above suggestions are good ones but the first place to look is probably at the tremolo's pivot posts - if they're really worn, replacing them can help a bunch.

One other thought along the lines of an upgrade is a tremsetter. I have one guitar with a vintage style tremolo, locking tuners and a tremsetter and it's very close to being as stable as a double locking tremolo.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I know it's not what you want to hear, but to be honest, if you are using the trem for more than just vibrato, you'd be much better of with a Floyd style double locking trem. I never had any luck with vintage trems, but then I'm a little heavy handed. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
              X