Star grounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star grounding

From what I understand, star grounding is taking all the necessary ground wires from pick ups, controls, etc... and soldering them together at a single point. Then leading a single ground wire from the center point where the others meet to a grounding point such as a spring claw on a trem. Is this correct? Also, is the output jack a ground point or does it NEED to be grounded?

Re: Star grounding

The output jack is THE ground in a guitar (at least with passive pups, I believe active pickups have their own internal grounding thingamabob). The pickups, pots and trem (which in turn grounds the strings) need to be connected to the ground of the output jack. It acts similarly to a lightning rod-any intereference picked up by those metal parts is sent through that wire into the "ground".

Comment

i opened up my y2kv and i noticed a few things i didnt understand:

There's a screw attached to the wood where a bunch of black ground wires lead in from the pickups and back of pots...i guess this is the grounding point that leads to the output?

i also noticed the backs of two pots connected by a single ground wire that doesn't lead to anywhere else...it just bridges the back of the two pots...why is this?

Comment

The wires screwed into the side of the cavity are to ground the cavity itself. The cavity should be painted with a flat black or gray paint-this is conductive paint and it acts to "shield" the cavity from interference.

If you look at the pots, the wire between them acts as a connection-like an extension cord (?). One of those pots must be grounded to the output jack in some way.

Comment

Working...
        X