Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a new nut to replace a floyd nut.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a new nut to replace a floyd nut.

I saw a guitar somewhere on this forum a while ago that gave me a great idea.

I'd like to get a bone or graphite nut made for my Dinky DR3. I want it to directly retrofit the regualr floyd nut. I'm thinking the nut could either just be glued into place, or even made to screw into place just like a regular floyd nut. Do you guys know where I can get a piece of bone or graphite big enough to do this?

I also new help deciding the nut material. What are the differences between bone and graphite? Any other material suggestions?

Re: Making a new nut to replace a floyd nut.

actually.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] you can get graphite nuts that are retrofits for a floyd spacing. they're on the allparts site. pretty neat idea, imo.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I think he's wanting one that will also cover the Floyd platform? Like that Archtop that was in the Classifieds a couple weeks ago that everyone bashed the nut of [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

yeah, i know. that's what i'm talking about. it's the same size as a floyd nut, see:

BN 0624-023

Ebanol Nut With Metal Base for Replacing Floyd Rose® Nut 1-11/16" Black

sully
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That's basically what I'm looking for. I might order that nut, or maybe I'll just make my own to make sure it fits properly.

BTW, if I ever meet Floyd Rose, I'm carrying out your mission of kicking Floyd straight in his nuts, jsullysix [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . Oh god how I hate floyd rose bridges, nutes, etc.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] wow, it's nice to be remembered! he's a really nice guy, though.... i felt bad for feeling that way.

sully
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] More than likely, I wouldn't actually do that. I'm pretty bad when it comes to kicking ass, especially if the person's nice and stuff.

However, some kinda justice should be done. I mean, come on, just look at all these stupid floyd rose bridges. Such stupid, idiotic devices. Arrrgrrhhh! Maybe I can hire a hitman or something to kick Floyd Rose, or at least play a practical joke on him. RacerX? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

eh...just do what i do...render them immobile by blocking them! it makes them a little sad that they can't make that retarded brad gillis warbley noise.

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Oh, believe me, I do. I cut some wooden blocks and shoved in both sides of the trem/spring block. It does not move [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] , any. None whatsoever. I leave one spring in there, for grounding purposes.

Blocking the floyd proves to be a great improvment, at least to me. However, it's still a stupid unit.

Comment

[img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                    While the Floyd Rose is pretty much a "one-trick pony", it's not entirely a waste of space, and maintaining them is not rocket science.

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I used to use the floyd all the time. I loved the damn thing. And yeah, learning how to maintain them is pretty easy. The floyd is a great unit that does exactly what it's supposed to, and it does it very well. I just personally hate it like donkey balls, nowadays. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

by Ninja Guitar: I just personally hate it like donkey balls, nowadays.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So what's wrong with donkey balls? If you cook 'em right they ain't bad at all!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Making nuts is not easy. You have to have the proper tools and knowledge to do it. Many repair guys won't even do it. I'm not saying it's impossible to learn, just don't think that it's easy.

Comment

Oh, definitely. I know it isn't easy to do. That's why I probably won't do it. But if I feel like trying to learn it for fun, I might go at it.

Comment

Working...
                            X