Tunomatic string-thru to Floyd Rose bridge conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunomatic string-thru to Floyd Rose bridge conversion

Questions pertaining to a modification I had in mind for my DK27 baritone which currently has the tunomatic string-thru bridge configuration.

1.) How expensive are we looking at here for the routing and installation of the Original Floyd Rose? I know how much a Floyd Rose bridge costs... so no need to factor that into the price.

2.) Would the Floyd Rose need to be top-mounted, seeing as how the original bridge is a tunomatic and the neck is angled? My Shannon Soloist is like this, but I REALLY would love to have the recess cavity for those extreme whammy bar pull-ups.

3.) Related to #2 above... if it DOES have to be a top-mount Floyd, can I still have the cavity carved for pull-ups?

4.) What block length would I need for the Floyd, depending on your answer to #2?

I think that's all for now... thanks for your help. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Tunomatic string-thru to Floyd Rose bridge conversion

1. Probably a couple hundred bucks. Thats a lot of cutting!

2. If your DK27 is a neck thru, then yes the bridge will have to be high enough to meet the neck angle. If it is a bolt on, then maybe, maybe not.

3. Yes, you can still route out behind and under the bridge for insane string breakage.

4. If its a top mount, a 42mm block would be in order. Otherwise a 32 or 37 if it's recessed.

Comment

Wow, damn, that's expensive. I think I will hold off and maybe practice routing and trem installations on beater guitars first. It may be a few years before I make the change to the DK27! Oh well, no loss. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the info! And the DK27 is a bolt-on import. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
        for insane string breakage.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Blasphemer!! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Put down the tools and leave the guitar alone, and just buy a guitar with a Floyd, you whacko! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If Jackson made a 27" scale baritone that had a Floyd, I'd be happy! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Until that happens, I'll be the first person ever with a trem-equipped DK27! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Now, if the SLSMG also had a trem, there'd be the perfect standard scale neckthrough import. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

It's like the whole 22 VS 24 fret debate... I don't use the 23rd and 24th frets that much, but they're there when I need them. Same with double-locking trems... they're there when I need extreme divebombs and pull-ups. I wish my acoustic guitars had trems too. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I just thought of something.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,..._Tremolos.html

Anybody have experience with these "Les Trem" things? Hmmm, the impression that I get from it is that you should have the post bushings from the original Les Paul stopbar and you swap that for this Les Trem thing. So, get rid of the string ferrules on the DK27, make whatever modifications to the DK27 that will allow a stopbar to go there (except I don't buy the stopbar since I won't need it), and then put the Les Trem on there.

I don't see this thing as a super-precise heavy-abuse trem system like the Floyd Rose, and it only allows for half-step bends. What do you think?

Comment

Oh god. Run far, far away from that Les Trem abortion.
                Picture a tune-o-matic bridge and that in place of the stop bar. Picture the strings sliding back and forth across the saddles on the tune-o-matic. Picture that working worth a shit.

Any luck? If so, you're on the same drugs as the designer of the Les Trem.

Route that ***** for a Floyd.

Comment

Actually, they did make Floyds for Les Pauls that mounted on top and onto the studs, but they were kinda big and bulky. I don't know if there was any routing or not involved, and I don't think they're made any more, but you might be able to find them. Or just route it for a normal Floyd then if you really need one on that guitar.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hahaha, can't argue with that. Floyd it is. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Gimme a couple years to learn how to route and install trems, or perhaps I'll wait until Jackson releases a DK27 that has a trem and a JCFer buys it. Then, if he wants to trade for a fixed bridge version, he'll have it, and I'll have the trem-equipped one, although I don't see Jackson releasing a trem version anytime soon. Oh well! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

For a definitive answer, email Kevin at Easton Guitars. He does crazy shit like this all the time, so he'll know what would need to be done and how much it would cost. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Awesome, I'm already getting a DK27 hardshell Jackson case from him for Matt Crooks to ship me the DK27 in, so might as well start talking to Kevin. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X