How much of a pain are Floyds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of a pain are Floyds?

I've heard many things about Floyd Rose tremolos. Some people say that they are awful and a real pain when changing strings, not to mention if you change string gauge. Then there are some who say that it's no problem at all.

I've only ever played guitars with regular trems but since I'm a huge fan of 80's "hair metal" I'm thinking my next guitar should be one with a Floyd. Especially considering that I would like to put together a cover band that plays that kind of music some day. All my "heros" had Floyd's but they also had guitar techs

So in your opinion, is it a pain changing strings? How long does it take and is there any risk of fits of blind rage?

it's not that difficult. The first time is the worst, but once you've got the hang of it, you just blow through string changes.

There have been plenty of posts here over the years on the finer points of restringing, adjusting and maintaining a Floyded guitar, so have a look around and you should get all the answers you need on the ins and outs of the job.

Also, have a read through the sticky at the top of this section:
    http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52679
    there are a few posts on various Floyd tips & issues there.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Yup, G is correct.
      Floyd's have a learning curve, but once you understand it's a breeze to manipulate and change strings.

For what a Floyd offers you playing-wise, it is well worth it to learn how it works. Once you start dive-bombing you're hooked for life.
      Strat God Music
      http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

If you want to go "BEEEOOOOOWW" and "VROOOOOOOM" there's no better way! I say go for it, it's friggin' addictive..
        "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

"...If you want to go "BEEEOOOOOWW" and "VROOOOOOOM" there's no better way! ..."

And that's what I want to do, 'cause
          it's such an important part of 80's "hair metal". I'll look through the threads here for more info. Thanks guys.

Comment

There IS extra time involved with Floyds no question.
            - cut off ball end
            - tighten into saddle
            - thread thru nut
            - Tune/retune/lockdown cycle through initial string stretch, so that you don't run out of threads on the fine tuners

In addition, the problem with all non-blocked (i.e. floating) trems is the having to retune all strings when one is out of tune. Also, the action/intontation/spring tension are all interdependent. So you better commit to a string gauge, otherwise it's a complete new setup.

For trem systems in general, though, Floyd is the undisputed best, and the extra work is worth the benefits of staying in tune longer and divebombing.

Couple of other disadvantages I noticed with floyds though...There is no individual saddle height adjustment, just an overall bridge height adjustment. The saddles are numbered for height to match the fretboard's radius. Ppl have said you can use your own shims under the saddle, but this is a little beyond what I've done.

THis is no big deal to most, but what I like about my Fender-style trem is that each saddle has a left & right height screw. Personally, I like my high E a bit inside from the edge and a bit lower than the B string. This lets me bend it *under* the b, and also keeps me from fretting out. You can accomplish this by tightening the outside screw in relation to the inside one.

My solution? Have several guitars on hand

Comment

I haven't gotten around to picking one up yet, but that Tremol-no device looks like it'd take a lot of the "fun" out of using a Floyd.
              |My CSG gallery|
              (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

it is really bothering if you want to get it to drop d tuning. downtune one string and they all go out of tune. and remember if you have a floyd chances are you'll have a locking nut so you'll have to unlock it too.

for me i don't downtune alot and i tend to stick with the same guage strings so it's not too bad. as strat god said what it offers is well worth the learning
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCw4Es1ARzY
                http://www.soundclick.com/milkmen

Comment

I figured if I want to play songs in drop D I can always use a second guitar, 'cause ,hey , we all need a couple of guitars anyway

Comment

I've decided my next guitar will be a fixed bridge or string-thru. That one will be used for drop tunings and experimenting with string guages. It does take a bit more time and effort to dial in a Floyd-ed guitar, but it is worth the trouble. Just be sure of the tuning you want to use and pick a set of strings and stick with them. Changing strings is not really a problem as long as you change one string at a time, and re-tune after each string.
                    My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

You get used to it very quick...:wink:
                      And it`s not that much of a pain in the ass but, the 1st time sure...
                      cause you have to set the floyd up...but, if it`s done right and you
                      will use the same string gauge there is no problem
                      Love Floyd Rose
                      Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

All hail the Floyd! Only one of my 14 electrics doesn't have a Floyd, and that one rarely gets played. You just have to get used to the routine. For me, the best of both worlds is the blocked Floyd.
                        This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

a floyd can be a pain, not to mention you can't getsick low action on them because you won't be able to pull up. but that are fun, and if you want to be like herman li then its a must
                          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I set up all of my Floyds so that they are blocked...meaning the bar only goes down & lowers the pitch. If you set it up that way...it is a breeze. No going out of tune if you break a string...etc. That's the way EVH always set up his Floyds. I think he sounded pretty good with it too.

But if you set up the Floyd to float & pull up also....it is a real big headache in my opinion.

Comment

Spend a little bit of time the first time you setup/string change and you'll never have any problems getting it right. Its annoying that you can't downtune but that is why we have more than one guitar. Changing strings doesn't take that long really when you have the hang of it either. I like Floyd guitars too because they hardly ever go out of tune.

Comment

Working...
                              X