replacement floyds for jt 580 lp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement floyds for jt 580 lp

in my rhoads STD there's a JT580LP tremolo ( correct me if i'm wrong )

with what can i replace that ? ( i assume that Lp stands for low profile so only low profile bridges ? )

i was thinking about shallers , because they went very cheap when i last checked the price ( about 100 /115 bucks ) but now i saw shallers Polish dealer website and the prices are :

255 $ - schaller floyd pro

180 $ = schaller floyd original

prices are kinda shocking

and i saw original floyd running for about 190 on stewmac .

I've heard Gotoh makes bridges that are even better than schaller ... is it true ?

Schaller / Original / Gotoh ? what to choose ?

and can somebody provide me some info what is / was floyd II or sth like that ?

Re: replacement floyds for jt 580 lp

I got a Warrior MG not too long ago that had the JT580LP (yes, LP means low-profile) replaced with an Original Floyd. It fits fine, and nothing was routed. Though, some people have said that they had to do a little wood routing for Floyds in place of the JT580LP. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Anyway, here's what the route on mine looks like. http://jimosity.tzo.com/Gear/Guitars...r/P1160046.JPG

If you want an OFR, you can get them cheaper from Carvin... $159.99 chrome, $169.99 black, $179.99 gold. Someone here mentioned that Ed Roman actually sells Floyds for a good price, too, but I'm not sure you'd want to deal with him.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I bought a chrome floyd at Ed's place 129.00 and a black one 139.00 I just walked in and bought them so no shipping. so 280.00 approx incl tax.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

You're right. Ed Roman, of all places, has the Original Floyd Rose for the cheapest, at:
        Chrome: $139, Black: $149, Gold: $159

Carvin is next, at:
        Chrome: $159, Black: $169, Gold: $179

In my brief web search, I can't find anyone else who even sells them (except Warmoth, for $170, $180 & $200)! WTF! Don't tell me I'm going to be making a purchase from Ed Roman!?!

Comment

Musicians Friend will match Eds price on a Floyd. They did it for me.
          The Buzzard does not fear
          The man in riot gear
          Harvest a skull of stone
          The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

Quiksilver, I'd do the price match with Musician's Friend. I bet their shipping charge is less than his, and from some stories here on the forum, I wouldn't want him to have my credit card #, period. He's known for drastic overcharges to your card, and for sending you the wrong item, like say gold instead of black, then when he switches it back he charges your card again for full price, not just the diff. His refunds are much slower than processing your purchases, so he basically holds onto twice your money for a couple of weeks.

A shady businessman can do this and stay clear of the law, because hey! Your bookkeeper might just be stupid, which isn't illegal. Prove that she (Ed's wife) isn't just stupid, is the problem. If he does this with hundreds of mail-order customers per month, he creates a phantom cash flow, always robbing Peter to pay Paul. You will get your money back eventually, but meanwhile he's using your $ to pay someone else back until he bends the next guy over to pay you back. This is just a theory, but it makes sense. Why else would he do this knowing word gets around and it's to his detriment to be known to overdip customers' CC accounts?

The only way I'd buy it from him is in his store, with cash, and inspect it first to make sure he doesn't switch it with a licensed Floyd. I'd open the box and pull it out and look at it, not trust what the box says. If you left and brought it back, he'd say YOU switched it and were trying to gyp HIM.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Thank you for an excellent suggestion. I would probably have paid the higher price and got it elsewhere (e.g., Carvin) before getting it from Roman, but your price match idea is much better. Thanks.

Comment

I'd say go with a Schaller. I've never had a problem with a Schaller bridge. If their factory is good enough to make OFR, I guess they know what they're doing.

Comment

are there any differences in tone between the jt580lp and OFR? Does OFR stay in tune better??? I have a dkmg with the licensed floyd rose, and it has the usual problem of not staying in tune, etc, etc, do you guys think putting OFR or schaller floyds will correct this problem???

Comment

diospada :

i heard about greater tuning stability and better sustain ( more mass )

my 580 lp floyd stays in tune pretty well , i must say almost perfect , i needed to tune it after 2 week without looking on a tuner and banging the guitar really hard in the time .

maybe it's even better with a ofr [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] altough i don't have any problems

Comment

Just wait until you wear it down a bit, or accidentally strip one of the screws in it. JT580LP = POS.

I recently changed my (admittedly old) JT580LP for a new Schaller floyd. The 580 had gotten damages to the knife edges and posts, so it wouldn't stay in tune very well. ...and man, what a difference! The Schaller oozes quality. The fine tuners don't feel sloppy, the saddles are sitting solidly on the baseplate, I can palm mute better with it, the trem arm has just the right tension and the arm where it goes into the baseplate is not in the way of my picking hand anymore. I couldn't be happier, since I can actually use the trem again!

I haven't noticed any differences as far as sound goes though.

Note: Be aware that if you have a newer JT580LP, your route may bee a tad too narrow to fit a Schaller or an OFR. But never mind that - modify the guitar to take the new trem, touch up the routing wounds with a bit of paint and be happy. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

What type of Schaller Floyd did you replace it with?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Musicians Friend will match Eds price on a Floyd. They did it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but from what I saw, MF only sells the OFR Pro which doesn't include the locking nut; they state it has to be sold separately due to the difference in sizes.

So, I guess my question for the folks @ MF is, how is it other retailers have the common sense to just have their customers specify which size nut they require and then include it in the package? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] All the other hardware is included? Right? Right! Oh wait.... stupid me! I forgot to include the greed factor into the equation. Drrrrrr! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

call Kevin Easton (link up at top of screen) he'll give you a better deal that Ed Roman. he hooked me up great! i'll never hesitate to order from him again.

100% class act!
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                            X