Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring it back to life!

When good frets go bad!! hehehe

Below are pics of a Jackson/Charvel that has seen more than a fair share of fret wear. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I was able to bring it back to life after a fret level and crown.

Take a look at the before/after pics.

This baby feels and plays sweet as the day it was new...

BEFORE

FILED

CROWND

AFTER

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Bring it back to life!

Nice work, man. In the before pic it looks like someone hammered the strings into the frets.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Thanks..

yeah, that fretwear was pretty much the same thru out the entire fretboard...

it does look hammer abused [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

That, dear friends, is a Rhythm Player's guitar. Note the dents and not a sign of flattening as most of us have on our "Soloists"? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, great job [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
          That, dear friends, is a Rhythm Player's guitar. Note the dents and not a sign of flattening as most of us have on our "Soloists"? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, great job [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Newc
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hehe, yeah; not a whole lot of bending going on there [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] a death grip squeeze and maybe some tight vibrato, I'd say [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

on a more serious note, I'd love to learn how to do this sort of fretwork, how practical do you think it is for someone who's really mostly interested in playing, but likes working with their hands and has some interest in learning to do this sort of thing to try (obviously I wouldn't start with any guitar I didn't mind totally ruining) How many necks would I have to totally screw up before some level of competancy was reached? what's the investment in tools like?

[ February 18, 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: yabba ]

Comment

The investment in tools to do a crown/polish is about $50. The necks you are going to most likely butcher will run about another $100. I learned how to refret my first week of school, but I had teachers standing over me helping me out. You can try the Dan Erlewine videos. I've never watched them, but that is one place to learn.

Comment

Yeah, the tools aren't that expensive if you buy over the counter type stuff that guys have been using for years..

I decided to baby myself and spent the money on Stew Mac stuff and LMI stuff that was more ergonomically correct...

I now prefer the newer tools as opposed the old school (harder) methods.

Also, I recommend you find several beater guitars that you can get for real cheap and practice on them. That's what I did., I scrapped together a dozen or so various necks to practice on.. Worked out great.

Hope it helps...

Comment

I hate crowning frets... that's the real PITA part in my opinion. Well, that and lacquered maple fingerboards (shudder).

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                  Well, that and lacquered maple fingerboards (shudder).
                  Pete
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah.. I feel the shudder louds and clears on maple boards.

*shudder's in unison with Pete*

Comment

Working...
                  X