Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assymetrical neck? (bass)

Hi

I noticed on Carvin's website an option for an Assymetrical neck, for bass.

In the picture, the neck, which was through the body, was a 5 piece maple/walnut module, but the stripes all looked "symmetrical". Is this term referred to some other thing?

It's refering to the backshape. If you draw a line down the center of the neck lengthwise one side would be thicker than the other. Here is a picture that can explain it better.

Comment

that's really interesting.

That picture just made me think that the guitar industry grew too much that strange/unusual expectations (like this one) of the guitar players started surfacing
      Check my bands!
      www.myspace.com/magicktr
      www.myspace.com/sinif64
      www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Oh you mean it's not assymetrical in a cross-section? or is it like a "taper" neck that it's thinner on one side and thicker on the other?

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
          Oh you mean it's not assymetrical in a cross-section? or is it like a "taper" neck that it's thinner on one side and thicker on the other?
          The neck is thicker on the low side and it's thinner on the high side.. you get a thinner profile while you're playing on the higher strings and you get a thicker profile while you're playing the lower strings..

It's really a cool idea theorotically but I don't know if it will be that cool in practice too. I always adjust my guitars' action so that the low side is higher. It's just better to have that hard feeling while riffing and a smoother,easier to play feeling while soloing. This idea "may" provide it better
          Check my bands!
          www.myspace.com/magicktr
          www.myspace.com/sinif64
          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Peavey Wolfgangs feature an asymmetrical neck. Possibly the best feeling neck I have ever played!!!

You honestly have to spend time on one to know if you like it or not, personally I LOVE them!!!

Comment

Working...
            X