Ok to leave guitar on stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok to leave guitar on stand

Might be a silly question. Friend told me to not leave it in a stage stand but to keep it in its case when not in use. He made his point because of possibly tweaking the neck while in the stand for to long. My thought was that you see it at guitar stores all the time. I have no idea. Any thoughts? Thanks.

BTW, I use just a typical stage stand made for electric guitars.

This should not hurt guitar at all in a stage type stand. The only reason I would say to put it back in case is for fear of it being knocked over and cracking headstock of guitar while sitting in stand?

Comment

I've seen many a guitar where the rubber or foam on the stand interacts with the finish on the neck and ends up marring the finish over time. This would apply more to the type of stands that 'hang' the guitar by the neck, but could happen to any stand that has a rubber or foam that touches the finish.

Comment

Originally posted by dk1ben View Post
        Might be a silly question. Friend told me to not leave it in a stage stand but to keep it in its case when not in use. He made his point because of possibly tweaking the neck while in the stand for to long.
        You'll be okay. I leave my Fender Double Fat Strat on a stand in my bedroom all year long (I play it through my Line 6 Tone Port in my computer). Though, I usually do have to adjust the truss rod about twice a year due to the climate changes here on the east coast.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by 59custom View Post
          The only reason I would say to put it back in case is for fear of it being knocked over and cracking headstock of guitar while sitting in stand?
          +1
          Been there done that
          Well, ex-gf did

Also, on guitars which the cord plugs in to the body "perpendicularly" this will prevent some doofus from stepping on the cord and ripping it -- along with the jack -- right out through the body wood. Like I did to my Gibson Flying V
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
            +1
            Been there done that
            Well, ex-gf did
            Got into a fight with the ex long ago, I had a brand new American Warlock sitting on the stand, it was about 3 months old. She got pissed and threw my keys during the fight. After things settled down I went to go look for them and was getting pissed because I couldn't find them, then I happen to look at my guitar and there were the keys hanging from the one key that stuck in the face of the body like and arrow!
            That was a bad night.

Comment

and now we know why she is the EX!

LOL.

ouch!

pS: Did she survive that night?

Comment

Ha, yeah, she cried right away because she felts so bad, so I really don't think it was intentional.

The makeup sex was great though!

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

I learned the hardway. Stands are for when you are playing and need the back up handy any other time its in the case. Snapped a headstock off once when stand fell foward when I tripped on the cord.

Mr Hiwatt
                    Mesa JP-2c Mesa 2x12 V30
                    RR1 Black
                    RR1 Blue ghost flames
                    Stealth EX
                    Hamer Studio
                    Boss pedals,TC, HBE

Comment

Working...
                    X