Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will metal pickup rings have an effect on the S.D. humbuckers

Hello,
    I am considering using the metal humbucker pickup rings on my Seymour Duncan humbuckers. Does anyone know if using a "metal" ring around a pickup is a bad idea or what? I mean the sell these styles. I cant find a mfg or dist that sells gold rings in plastic that arent tapered. Thanks in advance. John

Re: Will metal pickup rings have an effect on the S.D. humbuckers

No, metal rings won't affect the magnetic field to any meaningful degree. Go ahead & use 'em.

Metal COVERS are another story.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll use em.

Comment

I was going to say they do affect the pickups - they increase the coolness factor [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

did they have metal style pickup rings back in the day for charvels coming out of the sd shop? i have a sd guitar with one and was wondering if it was original....

Comment

The difference in density between plastic pickup rings and metal ones should theoretically transfer more vibrations from your guitar into your pickup ring. Everything affects the sound of the guitar a little. Little being the key word, you probably will only notice a slight difference if any.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
              The difference in density between plastic pickup rings and metal ones should theoretically transfer more vibrations from your guitar into your pickup ring. Everything affects the sound of the guitar a little. Little being the key word, you probably will only notice a slight difference if any.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But direct mounting your pups would have WAY more effect on this. Personally, I don't think even THAT is a very big difference.

Comment

I notice a huge difference between direct mount and suspended pickups. Especially in the recording studio. I use direct mount live and mic'd and I use suspended when I go direct through the board. I have a metal bezel on my 275DLX and it gave the JB that is in it a noticable increase in sustain and midrange.

Comment

Working...
                X