Wiring Q.Again..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Q.Again..

Well,I let a tech install the push/pull pot to my guitar.But the gain is very reduced at the moment.I need to crank the amp much more to get the volume I used to get.And the sound has lack of trebles.Switching between the neck and bridge pickup makes a really small difference.Is it a grounding issue or what?Please help

P.S:I can't go to the tech again.He's in another city.
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

i know from experience that adding stuff can and will usually decrease output and may or may not reduce treble slightly (such as with my EMG equipped guitars...an RR3, DX10, and Schecter Hellraiser). the RR3 is the meanest sounding, as it only has one volume control hooked up, the DX10 is next and only has a volume and tone, and the Hellraiser is a bit mellower due to having 2 volumes and a tone. but the difference shouldnt be THAT big.

maybe the solder connection is bad? or the pot itself? what kind of pickups are you using?
    My metal band Lucian Scott
    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
    Available Now!
    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

What is the push/pull pot doing?
      Splitting? Phase switching?
      Sounds like you may have dropped from a 500k pot to a 250k pot. That would certainly kill your output.
      A bit more info on the pots function may help lead to a solution.
      Pic of the wiring job perhaps.
      -Rick

Comment

It's a coil splitter and it's a 500K.The pickups are a Jb/Jazz set.

here's a pic.

Comment

Can't tell anything from that pic.

The way the coil taps from the pickups should be wired to the 6 tabs on the push-pull is like this:
          http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...1t_3w_1pp.html

Note that the coil taps from each pickup go on opposite sides of the switch as shown. If your tech put all the coil tap wires connected to the same lug on the switch, that could be causing your problem.

Comment

From what I can make out in the pic, I'm surprised it works at all.
            Solder blobs everywhere.
            I've done better solder jobs hung over.
            Burn marks all over the shielding. He probably cooked the pot.

Click on the pic and view it at full horror... er I mean resolution.
            That's one jacked up wiring job my friend.
            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              From what I can make out in the pic, I'm surprised it works at all.
              Solder blobs everywhere.
              I've done better solder jobs hung over.
              Burn marks all over the shielding. He probably cooked the pot.

Click on the pic and view it at full horror... er I mean resolution.
              That's one jacked up wiring job my friend.
              first thing i thought when i opened the pic...dude murdered that soldering job. im not great by any stretch of the imagination, but my soldering looks a million times better than that!

even if the pot isnt cooked (which it most likely is) all that solder mess is gonna totally mess with the circuit.
              Available Now!
              New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

So,I'll probably need a new pot?I'm kinda angry.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                  Note that the coil taps from each pickup go on opposite sides of the switch as shown. If your tech put all the coil tap wires connected to the same lug on the switch, that could be causing your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
                    Well,I let a tech install the push/pull pot to my guitar.But the gain is very reduced at the moment.I need to crank the amp much more to get the volume I used to get.And the sound has lack of trebles.Switching between the neck and bridge pickup makes a really small difference.Is it a grounding issue or what?Please help

P.S:I can't go to the tech again.He's in another city.

Who's that tech? If it's Kenan usta you probably made him hurry up and that caused a problem. If it's someone in Istanbul I doubt they can ever pay enough attention to anyone's guitar

You should have done that yourself, which I know you couldn't
                    Check my bands!
                    www.myspace.com/magicktr
                    www.myspace.com/sinif64
                    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

It was Yuksel Ustaoglu.

I WOULD do it myself,but since the smartass electronic supplies sellers in Bursa know nothing about shielded guitar cables,I could not find any suitable cables so I needed someone to do that.And I don't need you to think that I could do it or not.

Comment

Ouch that looks bad
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I guess I have to wait for ten days for my KV2 to arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
                            It was Yuksel Ustaoglu.

I WOULD do it myself,but since the smartass electronic supplies sellers in Bursa know nothing about shielded guitar cables,I could not find any suitable cables so I needed someone to do that.And I don't need you to think that I could do it or not.
                            shielded guitar cable? you dont need that for wiring up pickups! i mean, the pickup wires are, but the wire you run from pots is just normal 18 gauge (?) or 16 gauge copper wire. at least mine is, and ive done many pickup installations and rewirings and never had a problem with noise or anything. so yes, you CAN do it yourself, and its very easy and cheap to do.
                            Available Now!
                            New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Well, if you ask an electronics house for shielded guitar wire/cable they have no idea what you're saying.

Tell them you need 18 gauge shielded (not bare) copper wire, braided or solid-core, makes no difference.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X