Which pickups would be the best for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pickups would be the best for me

I'm looking at the Dimarzio Super Distortion,the X2N, or Duncan Distortion for the bridge. And I really am not sure what to get for the neck. These will be going in a mahogany bodied guitar if that matters.

I don't want EMGs I have one EMG equipped guitar already.

I forgot to mention I want this guitar to sound good for metal and shredding.
    Thanks

Re: Which pickups would be the best for me

this is really a subjective topic and everyone has their own likes and disklikes on certain pick-ups. I prefer the passive pickups. I think you couldn't go wrong with either the Super Distortion or the Duncan Distortion. The X2N is a pretty high output pickup...althought I haven't played a guitar with one I usually don't like higher output pickups.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

GO to the seymour duncan site. They have sound clips of most of the pickups, or you can order the CD from him. Anyway, If you get one and don't like it, they have a good return policy.

Comment

I guess what I'm really trying to figure out here is what brand to go with. I would get either a Dimarzio Super Distortion or a Duncan Distortion and I'm wondering if anyone has tried them. Which one has a thicker or more powerful sound mainly?

Comment

I'm a big DiMarzio fan and love the Super Distortion as well as the X2N. A great neck pickup would be a Super 2 (same power as SD, just more treble). I used an X2N in my old Kramer for many years until I retired that guitar. The pickup just went in my Warrior with a Super 2 in the neck. It's awesome!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well I just installed a JB in the neck and a duncan distortion in the bridge of my mahogony 92 fusion H-H.The JB is outstanding, the DD is not as thick as I thought it would be but still is a very punchy pickup.I tweaked on it for about an hour and have a nice balance after adjusting the height and adjusting the pole pieces.I gave the JB a little tweak on the D and E string (pole pieces).And gave a little more mid on the DD.It sounds real nice clean and rocks on the dirty channels nice combination.Dark enough when you want it,raw when you need it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I personally am a big fan of the X2N.. I had one installed in my BC Rich, and my RX10D is getting one next payday. I also like the Duncan Invader...
              just my opinions.. you have to figure it out for yourself mostly.
              Good luck

Comment

Oh yeah back to your question I think the DiMarzio super D is a bit thicker than the DD.I love DiMarzios.I have used PAF pros in the neck and super Ds together in mahogony bodied guitars and was very pleased,nice thick tone and smooth highs.Try a super D in the neck you will be amazed how good it sounds.I did a wolfgang for a customer a super D in the neck and a steve's special in the bridge and thought it sounded great.But the wolfie was not mahogony. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Ok I've come to the choices of

Duncan setup: Bridge - Distortion Neck - 59

Dimarzio setup: Bridge - X2N or Super Dist(can't decide!) Neck - PAF Pro

Now comes the problem of picking which one to get [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

I guess it will come to which pickups my local stores have and which are cheaper.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

After a ton of Pickups , mostly Duncans, I ended up with a Dimarzio SD in my Sl-2 and it was the only pickup I liked in it that tamed some of the harshness, but retained an even balance of highs mids and lows.

I then put one in my Iceman which is Mahogany and it sounded so thick, but not the least bit muddy. If you go with a Dimarzio and don't like it, they have a 30 day return policy and I have gotten pickups back as fast as a week.

With Duncan, it is only 21 days and it took 4 weeks for me to get one back from them.
                    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Ok thanks I'm gonna go with the Dimarzios. I'm gonna go with the X2N and PAF Pro setup. I can't wait to get these.

Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
                      X