just did something stupid with my trem [kinda long]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just did something stupid with my trem [kinda long]

this is my first post here, i hope it's in the right forum. this is my problem, i just got my first jackson today that ive been really excited about. it's an RR-3 and so far it's everything i was hoping for. but this is my problem: it needed to be set up, i dont like the action so low on the bottom strings, i want to change the strings but i dont have the arm for the JT580 so i couldnt move it up enough get anything underneath to hold it up, i guess i could have changed one string at a time, but that still isnt my problem. the problem is i figured if i couldnt change the strings i could at least fix the action so that i liked it. id been reading a lot about the floyd rose type trem so i thought i knew how. id been playing a les paul before this though. anyway so i turned one of the two pegs where it touches the knife edges of the plate [hope im getting the terms right] about a half turn with my allen wrench and then realized that a groove was forming in the peg. then i remember i read that you should never adjust the string height with the strings on, ack! this leads to many questions, how much do you think i have damaged it already, is there anything i can do to help it? is just the peg damaged or the knife edge too? can i just turn the peg so a good part of it is one the knife edge? is this really a problem at all? i a havent noticed any serious problems yet, but i havent played it yet using the bar. and if you cant adjust the string height with pressure between the pegs and knife edges, how are you supposed to do it, take the whole thing off? lastly, am i just being stupid about all this? im worried i messed it up bad already. any help would be really really appreciated. thanks, and since this my first post and thread, hi everybody

Re: just did something stupid with my trem [kinda long]

welcome to the JCF. You've come to the right section [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sounds like you're doing just fine. As you described, adjust the string height by screwing the trem post in or out to raise or lower the bridge. You do this with the guitar strung so that you can see when you've achieved your desired action. The string pressure shouldn't be so great that it damages the trem posts, no more than a scratch anyway.

Taking the strings off to make this kind of adjustment would be a royal pain in the arse. Can you imagine restringing, checking your intonation, checking your action, realising the action is a little to high/low, pulling all the strings off, wind the trem post in or out, restring, etc etc? Man! That's like taking the neck off your guitar to adjust your truss rod. Thank goodness for headstock truss rod covers! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If this is your first Floyd, then the guide over at Easton Guitars is an invaluable resource for when it comes time to restring your new guitar.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

What VitmainG said, you SHOULD adjust your action with the strings on the guitar. I seriously doubt that you damaged anything, or formed a groove anywhere for that matter. If you REALLY damaged your knife edge by adjusting the action then the bridge is VERY poorly made, and I have never seen a Jackson with a bridge that crappy. Rest easy, I am sure your guitar is fine.

Comment

Actually, I've had the same thing happen with the JT580LP on my RR-X. It seems the knife edges and posts wear very easilly on some of these.

The knife edges were fine when I bought it and the guitar stayed perfectly in tune, even after some heavy whammy-bar usage. After a few weeks of owning it I did some minor adjustments, and efter that it would no longer stay in tune when using the bar. Upon inspection I found noticeable wear on the treble side post and knife edge, which probably originated from the trem post adjustment.

Conclusion: The JT580LP is a cheap piece of crap. While the quality may have gotten better on newer units, I would recommend JT580LP owners to remove the bridge before adjusting the trem posts. I've now ordered a Schaller Floyd to replace mine.

'bane

Comment

OK, I could very well be wrong. If that is the case then Jackson should quit using cheap metal for trems. I'll talk to my friend who does QC for FMIC on Wednesday and see what he says.

Comment

thanks everyone. i havent got the chance to use the whammy [no bar] so i guess only time will tell, but thanks to everyone for the reassurance. just thinking, if this does screw up the posts and knife edges, and the action still isnt where i want it, it's gunna be a pain in the ass... can you replace a JT580 LP with a schaller pretty easy? if worst comes to worse. however you say that. thanks again

Comment

ok., I looked all over, at schematics and stuff..

but what are knife edges? is there a schematic with that part clearly indicated?

I just ordered my kelly today [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

what are knife edges?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The 2 knife edges are located on the trem at the 2 points where the tremolo comes in contact with the tremolo posts that go into the body. On the Schaller-made trem they're called "pivot-edge inserts," so that might be a more accurrate term since the trem "pivots" at these 2 points. If these edges become dull, the trem might not return back to its original pitch after a whammy maneuver.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

And both the Schaller and Original Floyd Rose trems will replace the JT580 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  Just make sure you replace the posts ans inserts as well, because the ones that came with the guitar are too tall for the OFR, plus they're kinda weak and crappy compared to the Schaller/Floyd.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Knife edges aren't on a schemtic because they are not electronics, they are a part of the bridge.

Comment

Working...
                    X