EMG wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG wiring question

I'm replacing the EMG-HZ's in my DXMG with an 81, and an 85, and I need some help with the wiring. First, the capacitor doesn't reach acroos from the tone pot, to the volume pot. The lead's not long enough. On the HZ's, the capacitor was soldered to the case of the tone pot. Can I just repeat this procedure, or do I need to get it over to the volume pot? If so, how?

Second, the ground wire off of the 3-way switch, does it ground to the body of the guitar, or does it go somewhere else? I unhooked it, and don't remember where from. does the ground wire from the volume pot go to the center position of the switch? I also unhooked that, and don't remember where it went.

Yeah, I'm a dumb ass.

Re: EMG wiring question

OK, I got it in, and working, sort of. The pickup only works, when the cord is plugged in to the jack, half way. That tells me I've got a ground problem. I wired it in, exactly like it says in the diagram, but my guitar has a bunch of grounds all over the place. The instructions say to remove the ground from the bridge, did that, and everything else is the way EMG wants it. Any ideas? I can post/email pics if needed.

Comment

Did you also swap out your input jack to the stereo type that comes with the EMG 81/85? The input jack is what switches the battery on and off when you plug in the guitar. If you follow the emg wiring diagram exactly (including the wires to the input jack) you should not have any problems.
      http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiri...ers_active.pdf

Comment

I've done everything according to the instructions, to the letter, 5 times. It acts like the input jack is grounding out. If I take the ground wire off of the back of the tone pot, and touch it to the opposite pole of the tone pot, it makes noise, but I have no volume, or tone control. I knew I should have put a JB in this guitar! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Are you sure you have the wires to the input jack done correctly? The 'hot' wire from the center tab of the volume pot goes to the terminal of the input jack that corresponds to the longest tab that would contact the tip of your 1/4" guitar plug tip. The ground wire from the back of the tone pot goes to the ground connection on the input jack, which is the area that contacts the base of the 1/4" guitar plug. The other black wire from the battery goes to the remaining shorter tab of the input jack (this shorter tab rests on the shaft of the guitar plug, about 1/2 way on it's length). I'm thinking you might have the ground wire and black battery wires mixed up on the input jack.

Maybe you can post pictures of your wiring and we can try to analyse from that!

Comment

did you switch the pots with the ones that came with the 81/85. active emg's use different pots than passive pups.

all you need to do with that is soulder a wire to it to make it longer. no big deal.

emg has a whole wiring book availible online if you need anymore help.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

OK, first thing you need to understand is that ground is ground. As long as your grounds are connected it doesn't matter which ground you solder to/from. Secondly EMG's don't require a bridge ground. Don't worry about how your HZ's were wired, you should have completely new electronics for your EMG 81/85 set. Remove EVERYTHING that was in there before from the HZ set. Be sure you are using the 25K pots that came with your 81/85 set. From there I am having difficulty picturing what you are talking about, but if you post a pic I've wired in plenty of EMG's and I can help, no problem.

Finally, a JB, while a nice pickup, sounds NOTHING like an 81/85 set.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                Finally, a JB, while a nice pickup, sounds NOTHING like an 81/85 set.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank goodness. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                Gil

Comment

Working...
                X