Guitar Finish Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Finish Question?

I have an older soloist that still looks great exept for the finish which has lost it's luster over the years and has some very light scratches on the back and front.
    Does anybody know if it's possible to rebuff the finish to get rid of the scratches and return the shine to what it once was? there's no paint missing or chipped off, just some dull spots and light scratches.
    where could i get this done?

[ February 15, 2004, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: Sleestack ]

Re: Guitar Finish Question?

Yes, you can get your guitar re-buffed at any tech with a pedestal buffer, shouldn't be too hard to find. But first, try lightly rubbing some car polish into your guitar. Not wax, just finish. i can't think of any brand names, someone help me out...

Comment

Mothers?
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have found poly finishes need a buffer. A nice cheap buffer that works nicely is a rotary buffer for a car. Use a heavy grit compound first (like Meguires #2) and follow it up with a swirl remover (#9). Use light pressure on the buffer and let the pad spin as fast as possible while still touching the guitar. You may not get out all scratches, but you woll likely get most of them out.

Comment

I have used Turtle Wax Fine Polishing Compound with Formula 1 carnauba wax in my first project, and it worked fine, though the polishing compund was a little hard to apply. I'll be on another project, and asked for some advice on that. Chopper45hd gave me some, and I think he knows a lot about paints and finishing jobs. You may try what he told. As I know, Mothers made good products for this, but Meguiars have some that are for more delicate jobs. Moreover that, 3M has a line of products almost for any kind of job you need to do, depending of the paint you have used. I've used this products (Mothers, Meguiars, and 3M) on car finishes, and 3M are easier to manage on delicate jobs.

Comment

There's no way you're going to get that haze out by hand buffing (depending on how picky you are). I am assuming by the original question that you're not savvy with a buffer so my advice is to take it somewhere and have it done. As far as products go, both Meguires and 3M have great stuff but it's only great in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

thank you morbid,its always nice to get a compliment. i do work nights for sea-ray boats doin exactly what we are talking about buffing and polishing and repairing the finish on boats before they are shipped out.i also custom paint and air brush bikes as a side job,which is leading to refinishing and custom painting guitars.
              hand buffing will not get out deep scuffs unless you take ALOT of time and effort to do it. however after you use a buffer to polish and bring a good shine to your guitar the hand buffing will take it from a wow to a WOW!!! shine. hand buffing should be the last step to a total finish.
              why would you want a wax build up on your guitar? for cars the wax build up is to protect the color and finish from the sun/rain things like this,as you dont subject a guitar to such harsh elements you will get a large build up of wax on the body.
              i actually agree with the idea of taking it to someone who has experience as it is very easy to burn the finish with a buffer. it is an art form all of its own,but then again so is playing a guitar and we all learned that one.or as in my case am learning.

Comment

jim basically described what i do... get a $30 buffer from pep boys; it's guaranteed not to burn finishes, which is nice. give it a good buffing, and you'll be stylin.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

meguiers?
                  "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

3M Finesse III polishing products
                    if you cant get a buffer you can use 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze to apply by hand. you do this as though you are waxing your parts. rub it on, let it slightly haze, then wipe off.

Comment

thanx for the info [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                      i think i'll order some of the 3M stuff and give it a try [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X