Kahler problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler problem

I was just tooloing around on my model 4 with the Kahler trem, and noticed that when I bend strings on the G and D strings, the roller in the saddle makes a clicking noise against the saddle. Anyone else ever have this problem? Anyway to fix it? I never noticed it doing this before today. Thanks!

Re: Kahler problem

Check to see if the saddle is actually loose from the bar it attaches too. The set screw is right next to the philips head intonation screw. If that's not it, it's possible that the rollers are starting to sieze on you and will need to be cleaned with WD-40. Hope that helps.....

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Ah, the wonders of WD-40! Cleans, lubes,
      displaces moisture, emergency flamethrower - what WON'T it do? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BTW it needs to be a REAL emergency to use the flamethrower function, as it sometimes defaults to the blows up in your hand function. Not fun!
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

THe saddles are locked down, it is the actual roller that has side to side play, just enough to make an annoying "click" when it hits the saddle. What now?

Comment

Kahler = problem! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I know, I know.....I was weary of the Kahler at first, but I couldn't beat the price on this baby when I bought it, and I kind of like the Kahler trem....even though I am a crappy guitar player and have absolutely no use for a trem of any sort other than to make weird noises with them.

Comment

Couple theories: The clicking noise happens to worn Kahlers when the roller/pin is worn or when the saddle roller is being obstructed somehow. The only way I have found to diagnose & fix this is to remove the saddle from the clamp and then completely disassemble the saddle/roller/pin. You need to knock the pin out of the saddle that holds the roller and clean out the inside of the saddle, the pin, and the entire roller (outside as well as inside the hole). After enough gunk buildup, the roller will not turn smoothly and the noises start to appear. In extreme cases over time, the rollers can create a notch in the pin and when you bend strings the roller being pulled over the notch under pressure creates clinking noises. In this case replace the pin and possible the roller.
              www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
                THe saddles are locked down, it is the actual roller that has side to side play, just enough to make an annoying "click" when it hits the saddle. What now?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, are you positivie it's side to side action rather than what Bret(slo100) was describing? If so, you can either do what he suggests and that's to replace the pin and or saddle or, you could remove the pin, go to the hardware store and find a very thin teflon or nylon washer to use as a "shim" to make up for the space between the roller and the side of the saddle. If you would like, I'd be happy to look at it for you.

Dave-&gt;
                Dave ->

Comment

yes, it is definitely sideplay in the roller. I can see them moving ever so slightly. I am not too concerned about it, because you cannot heear it amplified. I guess I should look around for replacement rollers and pins. any ideas?

Comment

Yes, it should fit if it's a Kahler Pro or standard. Does it look like this? If it does, you're in luck.

If Jim's is brass, you may want that one and just replace the roller so it matches. These are the better(matter of opinion) blackened stainless steel ones from the Pro Model.

Dave-&gt;
                    Dave ->

Comment

I have both steel and brass roller saddles. If you just want to change the roller, you could take my chrome, remove and replace the roller to what you have. The rollers themselves are nearly impossible to find seperate. PM me if you interested. I wont charge you a dime for the part. I just don't want to give something away that wont be used.

Comment

Jim,

I don't care what they say...you're the man.

[img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                        www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Well, my intentions are always good. They just don't always come off that way. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
                            Well, my intentions are always good. They just don't always come off that way. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, I can't even imagine that Jim!

Dave-&gt;
                            Dave ->

Comment

Try disassembling and cleaning it first! That may cure it.

If you can't go to www.axeparts.net
                              www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Working...
                              X