Question for the experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the experts

Okay, so I have been playing in cover bands for many, many years. I have almost always played direct (GT DI Box) with a small amp for (mainly) the drummer. I am now acquiring a SVT3-Pro and 4x10 cabinet. I have never really felt a rig was all that necessary for a live performer. I would like to hear from others, do you mic your rig? Do you still play direct, use the rig as onstage monitor? Etc...

Davis

depends what you play man, in a loud rock band a stack is important IMO to get that growling and powerfull sound, also in funk or jazz band a stack is irreplacable because a real amp gives you tons of "air" and punch.

You can allways use corssovers or splitter boxes, one line to amp the other one to DI box.

It's all about what music you play, how you play and what tone you want.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

My bass bud plays using all methods above it just depends on his application and need. In a small gig or rehearsal situation, he has a pedalboard with a Tech21 Sans amp..just DI's and goes thru the mains and monitors or a personal powered monitor.
      He also has an SVT which he loves to use on a larger stage. So if a gig comes up where he can use that.. he typically mics as well as DI to the board to get a blend.

Comment

Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI is amazing little box.

Actually the best rock tone I've ever heard was with 3 way setup.
        First amazing player and amazing bass then:
        Line 1 directly to the board.
        Line 2 to crossover.
        From crossover the low freq. line went to Gallien Kurger solid state head, wich had a really clear and punchy clean sound.
        The hi freq. line went to vintage Ampeg SVT head wich was overdriven.
        Both stacks had 4x10 and 1x18 cabinets.

Some of the best hi-budget albums are recorded that way and live you get amazing power and clarity.
        Direct in gives you the consistency and balance.
        Real amp gives you the warm tone.
        Distorting the lower frequencies can make the sound muddy, that's why corssover is used to leave the low end clear and you can distort the higher frequencies to get that awsome drive wich is good for rock music.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I use the DI from my BBE Preamp to the board, cabinets are effectively nothing more than monitors.
          "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

Tech 21 Sansamp

Thanks, bought one with my Ampeg. SWEET!!!!

Davis

Comment

Working...
            X