Incompetent guitar tech........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incompetent guitar tech........

I was in a music store yesterday and they had this "guitar tech" who was working on some old strat and was bragging to all passers by about what a cool old axe it was. Then I heard him say "Oh SHIT!"....so I walked over to see what was up. He was installing a set of locking tuners on it for a customer (Schallers) to replace the old Klusons. He was on the second tuner and said he'd broken off another screw. Of course the Schallers had the 45 deg. bolt holes so they didn't line up with the previous holes. I got a closer look and saw that he was trying to put the screws in without drilling a pilot hole and coudn't figure out why the screws were breaking off! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I tried to be nice and told him about drilling the pilot holes and he looked at me like I was some kinda dumbass and said: "I've installed a hundred sets of these, I know what I'm doing, I think I just got a bad batch of screws!"
    I just said yeah, I've had some bad batches lately too, and went on about my way.
    How the hell can a person with that mentality have a job as a guitar tech? The sad thing is that this store is one of the oldest in the area and has a very good reputation. (so far [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Re: Incompetent guitar tech........

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] "A bad batch of screws".. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

That's freekin' hilarious!! What store is it? Any place I would be familiar with?? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

That's just too damn funny!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I guess he didn't have a hammer handy? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Keith
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

One of my favorite new terms has recently become "mutant". I use this word to encompass all of the previous words I used to describe inferior life forms. I work in a store just south of the Mason-Dixon line, and have run-ins with these mutants on a daily basis. I once asked the store manager if we could administer an IQ test at the door, and his reply was, "we would lose 90% of our business." This tech seems to fit the usage perfectly.

Comment

Please name the shop.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Damn! Where's Dr. Newcenstien when you need him??

Comment

I have to speak up on behalf of guitar techs everywhere. That dude is an idiot.

Comment

maybe this technique worked better for this tech...hell if this guy drilled pilot holes it sounds like he'd drill a few of them right through the entire heasdstock [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by axtogrind:
                  I guess he didn't have a hammer handy? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Keith
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">lol , i always have my hammer handy,cause i install machine-heads with 8 penny finish nails.

Comment

You can not have an attitude like that and be even a passable tech. You can't be that fucking stupid and be even a passable tech. I've installed a few sets of tuners without drilling holes... on my own cheapass $100 POS guitars I bought to screw up in the first place. What kind of a dumbass does it take to do something that incredibly stupid on someone else's GOOD guitar? [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

I am trying to decide who I should smack first. The 'tech' or the asshole who is having an old Strat bored out for locking tuners when there are retrofit locking tuners available.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
                        I am trying to decide who I should smack first. The 'tech' or the asshole who is having an old Strat bored out for locking tuners when there are retrofit locking tuners available.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ditto to that Jim. I actually wondered the same thing, but after getting shot down and trying my best not to be some pompous asshole, I swallowed my pride and left it alone. He already had all of the tuners in place so I didn't get to see his drilling job....but I can just imagine what was lurking beneath those bushings! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Sad part is that the owner probably doesn't even have a clue.....just wanted "locking tuners".
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'll be damned if I ever let someone like that work on one of my guitars.

Comment

Working...
                          X