Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NUTS!!! (KV2 revisited, and locking nut weirdness)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NUTS!!! (KV2 revisited, and locking nut weirdness)

Maybe this info is old news to some of you, but since I just came from the shop to drop off my KV2 for some work, I thought I'd pass along what knowledge I picked up.

I'm getting the locking nut replaced (actually replacing the replacement), and the tech showed me something strange, yet apparently "standard", on all of the locking nuts he had. The side of the nut that sits flush with the fretboard (side opposite the tuners, not the bottom surface) was not perfectly flat -- not on ANY of the nuts he had, be it OFR, Schaller, Ibanez, Peavey, etc. This is something that Buzz Feiten pointed out to him. Some nuts have a bulge that, when installed, would cause the bass-side strings to be further from the bridge than the treble-side strings, or vice versa. Other nuts were indented or curved so that only the ends of the nut would sit flush with the fingerboard. He says that Feiten grinds the uneven surface flat so that the locking nut truly lines up properly.

Odd that this sort of thing would get overlooked during manufacture, if it can screw up tuning and intonation, no?
    sigpic

Re: NUTS!!! (KV2 revisited, and locking nut weirdness)

The OFR nut on my HM strat lies perfectly flat against the fretboard, as does the schaller one on my fusion special. Is this maybe just a problem with newer ones?

Comment

Working...
    X