Paint job and custom graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint job and custom graphics

Hi, got a model 2 Charvel body in bare wood, and want to make the paint job with custom graphics on it. What type of paint is recomended to the background colors and to the graphics? I was thinking to do make the background paint in two colors, then apply the graphics in decals and then clearcoat the entire body. The decals of the graphics will be words in another language (not japanese nor chinese). Is that a good idea or it's better to make a template and paint the words with a little brush? Please need help on this matter to make a good job. Have experience in other things but not in paint jobs on wood. [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] What I want to do I already have it done in my project guitar, but I want to make it better so it can look like an original custom made guitar. That's why I got this model 2 Charvel body.

[ February 12, 2004, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: morbid ]

Re: Paint job and custom graphics

You can get nitro laquer from stewmac.com if you want to go that route. Some use the automotive spray paint you can get at any auto parts stores (acrylic laquer). just do yourself a favor and use a good sealer or primer on the bare wood, cuz it will soak up a ton of paint. German words are cool-they look tough. I suggest "durchfall" (sp?) It really means "failure" but can also mean "diahrrea" as in "Ich habe durchfall!" [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] Don't use french, or everyone will laugh at you! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, I thought about automotive paint, acrylic laquer or urethane. I used that in my first project. I just want to do the same thing, but a better looking job. I also wanted to ask about the primer, but I prefer to use a sealer because it gives a better base for the paint to be use. It prevents more the soaking of paint by the wood than the regular primer. About the graphics, can someone tell me if it's better to paint the words or to apply them as a decal? Do clearcoat the body at the end will affect the tone of the guitar, or should I leave the painted body without it?

PS. Don't worry about the french, and the german. I wont use it on my guitar. The only thing I like from France are the kisses of the girls; and from Germany, my car. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

i have never noticed any tonal changes from useing clearcoats. i personally use both a high build auto clear which works great and after wet sanding and buffing gives a very deep glassy finish.
        as for stickers vs painting graphics either way works good but remember if you dont want to feel the sticker under the clear you will have to build up a good clear coat.
        shoot me a pm if you have any questions or need any help

Comment

I think I'll go with the stickers. Doing the template will be as difficult as painting the words. What I want to know is if clearcoating over the stickers, all over the body when the work is done, is not recomended. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow, I was answered before I ask for an answer again. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

You can order the waterslide decal paper online-i think it is decalpaper.com or if you go to GGstickers.com, you can have them make a vinyl transfer for you. I have never been very good at artisitic things, so these would be some options i would consider before handpainting. If you an artistic type of person, go for it. If you screw it up, sand it off and start over!

Comment

Working...
              X