Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trem spring ?'s

Hey Peep's!
    I have a few question's about trem springs.
    1. Is there a drastic tonal diffrence between a 2 spring or 3 spring config?
    2. Which config do you prefer and why?
    3. Trem spring quality, Is there a diffrence? If so, what brands do you guys recommend?

Thanks for any posts.

I've never noticed a tone difference from more or less springs. I usually prefer 4 to 5 springs because it gives the Floyd a stiffer feel.
    As for springs, they stretch out over time, but I don't know if there's any particular "brand" or whatnot.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I would like to use at least 4 springs but, as I am lazy I never take
      the time to buy some..
      This is how I have them set up:

Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Hey Special K! What kind of trem is that you have in there, more specificly what kind of block is that. So if you had 4 springs, would it be 2 on each side?

Comment

Yep they would be 2 on each site... I have it like this because one of my big
          idols has it so (Roope Latvala - Children Of Bodom) and someone said the tension
          gets more equal on al strings...
          This is a RR-3 so it has a standart
          Floyd Rose Licensed Jackson Low Profile JT580 LP Double Locking 2 point Tremolo
          It has the same specifications as the JT-580 tremolo, but with low profile fine tuners...

Like seen here(this is taken from the AudioZone site)
          Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

yea, you can tell its a licensed trem by the block...totally different than an OFR block!

ive got my Floyds (licensed and OFR) set up with 2 springs on the treble side, and one on the bass side. i tried the Roope/Alexi way and then my way, and i didnt notice much difference.
            only thing i with is that my JT580 and 580LP would flutter more...the LP flutters ok, the 580 almost none. been trying to figure out exactly why they dont, and an OFR does...and i think it has to do with the mass of the block (the licensed trem blocks are really light and without that big hunk of brass to flail around, they just dont flutter like the OFR). that and the springs...the OFR springs seem to be more "springy" as well. if thats even a way to describe it!

if you needed new springs though...probably just get some Schaller springs.
            My metal band Lucian Scott
            Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
            Available Now!
            New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

If you want more warble/flutter, take a spring out.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                If you want more warble/flutter, take a spring out.
                done that already...the 580LP doesnt flutter anymore with 2 springs than it does with 3, and the regular 580 barely flutters at all with 2 or 3. weird i know, but i dont mine. ive got the schecter with the OFR for the flutter...and when i wear out the 580's ill just slap OFRs in
                Available Now!
                New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Hmm, that's weird. I've never had a problem with any type of Floyd being able to get flutter.

Comment

four sprins on mine 3 on the bass side with one on the treble. but i have the treble on angled out. lots of tension and no flutter, but i am running 52 tuned to standard. carpel tunnel here i come
                    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      Hmm, that's weird. I've never had a problem with any type of Floyd being able to get flutter.
                      my buddy's JT500/590 mutt wont either! LOL we tried a few new MIJ Jacksons and some would flutter like an OFR, some wouldnt flutter at all.
                      Available Now!
                      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

I just went from 3 springs on a Kahler Fulcrum (set up for 9's) to 4 in order to get it set right for the 10's I'm now using. with the 10's on the 9 set trem, it pulled it too far forward, but now by adding the 4th spring it's nice and level. I'm actually kinda shocked that I was able to set up my own trem.

just go to any guitar repair shop and they'll sell you individual springs, they are all the same AFAIK.
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Are springs for vintage style trems the same as the ones in floyd ones? I think I might add a spring to my SL2, its only using 10s in standard but there is not a whole lot of room left for the screws in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by demeyes View Post
                            Are springs for vintage style trems the same as the ones in floyd ones?
                            Yes.

Comment

prefer the standard \|/ config. the wider side being on the trem block.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X