Reviving an EMG.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviving an EMG.........

Ok, has any one ever taken apart an EMG pup? If so, what did you use to melt or cut the epoxy on the back? I have an old "beige back" EMG(not sure of the model) and the battery wire is cut right at the back so there is no room to splice on a jumper. I'd like to be able to at least check out the sound of it before I chuck it so I'm thinking by melting or milling away the epoxy, I might be able to have enough room to get a bit of wire on it. Chances are whatever is hot enough to melt the epoxy, will melt the wires, so I'd probably have to mill(cut) it open. I just don't know what it looks like on the inside and I don't know what is right under the epoxy or how thick the epoxy is. Any thoughts or ideas?

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Re: Reviving an EMG.........

Send an email to Rick Hunt at EMG. I'm sure he can help you. Email address is: [email protected]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What I have done is take the wire I want to use for the new lead and tin the end, touch it to the nub of the old wire, heat up the new wire with the soldering iron until the solder flows to the nub connecting the two wires, then epoxy it in place for strength. It is rather delicate, but has worked for me the very few times I had to use this trick. This also works on salvaging old broken wax paper capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
        Send an email to Rick Hunt at EMG. I'm sure he can help you. Email address is: [email protected]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey thanks Joe,

Dave-&gt;
        Dave ->

Comment

Thanks Jim, that's not a bad idea at all. I may give that a go after I here what Rick from EMG has to say. Thanks for the idea!

Dave-&gt;
          Dave ->

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey thanks Joe,

Dave-&gt;
            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No prob. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
            X