How Low is Too Low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Low is Too Low?

I recently did a set up on a friends Anderson Tele, which is a truly amazing guitar. He says that the action was too low for his style of playing. So I was wondering if I'm the only freak out here who strives for ultra low action?
    For me and my personal guitars I always measure the action by placing the sharp end of the pick between the high E string and the 12th - 15th fret and if it wont stay put, then it still needs work. I use Extra Heavy pics that measure .050 with dial calipers.
    If I can't get it set up like this so it does not buzz, I keep working on it until I'm happy. If it just won't get there, I sell it.
    What about you guys???

Re: How Low is Too Low?

I like low action, but man your setups sound awesome. You should go into business and setup my guitars that low!

Comment

A lot of players prefer a little higher action because you can play the strings hard and still be nice and clean. With super low action you have to have a light pick hand. Same principle applies to string gauges also. Higher action + heavier strings = the cleanest and most "defined" tone for sure. That's where a good strong fret hand comes into play.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'm with ya Krash. I like it very low but if it's a cool axe and I can't dial it in perfectly I keep it anyway. When I moved from Phoenix to San Jose, the change in the weather made a few of my guitars fret out. I've still got a couple that need attention. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

i also prefer lower action, myself... my guitars are set at 1/16th of an inch on the treble, 3/32nd-1/8th of an inch on the bass side, neck with little relief.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I like high action. Low action is for wimps who need it because they can't pick. They play entire scales with only an occassional pick once in a while. High action also never buzzes and it amplifies the volume of the guitar. Here is how you can tell a low action player from a real player: give them an acoustic guitar and ask them to shred on it. NOT................
            Just kiddin bros.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] lower or higher..whatever makes you play better is correct.

Comment

i checked my setup and it seems like there's slightly less than 1.5 mm from the low e (C actually 52 string) to the top of the fret

about 1.mm to the top of the fret on the violin side . if i can calculate correctly that's even lower ( 2.5 cm = 1 inch yup ? ) 11 tuned to C also

btw that was my first floyd setup , previously i gave it to techs , i think that's the first one i'm completely satisfied [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

i might try now harder picks ( currently .88 dunlops and i wish i could try either a 1.5 dunlop or a big stubby / jazz 3mm )

mm2002 - does it really matter ???, while playing on hi gain it doesn't seem like there's a lot of noise ...
              and playing clean , hmm sometimes there's a slight buzz , but i can definitely live and play with that (i think i learned how to avoid it [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and make clean parts can sound nice without buzzing .
              peace

Comment

Yes it does matter. I agree that the more distortion you use the more fret buzz you can get away with though. That's why acoustic guitars are set up differently than electrics (generally)
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I also like my action a little high as I tend to be a little "aggressive" when I pick. To be honest, I have some guitars lower than others and it really doesn't take long to get used to playing any kind of action. Of course, I'm no pro either....... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Dave->
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I always found that since I work on them I'm way more critical than most people are. Sometimes I get the "tinkeritis" and end up tweaking more than I play. But once I get it set like I want it I leave alone. There are always more guitars to work on.

Comment

I set the action on mine with just a hair of relief, and the 6th string (E 46) buzzes very slightly at the 12th. It may buzz and rattle out at the 15th, but since I don't play on that fret on that string, I don't care [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

For the treble side, I set the action so that 15th fret bends fret out at a full-step bend, then raise it just till it stops fretting out.

One thing that'll really screw your setups is a low or high fret - my Warrior Pro has a short 12th fret on the high E side. It rattles out on cleans but is only minorly dissonant with distortion.

I'll hafta get it fixed, though [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker:
                        I have a Tele that I keep higher to do slide work.
                        I'm not good at it, and a lower action would really make that obvious.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You and me both my friend..... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
                        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I wish I didn't pay as much attention to this as I do, I usually end up driving myself crazy over it when we're only talking about a few thousandths of an inch anyway. I go through phases. When I am tweaking stuff for other people I get into the action measuring game. I want my 2 main players to be exactly the same. But when I concentrate more on playing, then I'm happy as long as they stay in tune.

Oh well it keeps me at home working on them and out of the strip joints!.....well most of the time anyway.

Comment

It depends on the guitar for me.
                            I have a Tele that I keep higher to do slide work.
                            I'm not good at it, and a lower action would really make that obvious.

I can't get the action on a Les Paul to be as low as I would like it. They keep fretting out at the 12th.
                            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I like low action, on my one soloist that I tune way down with, I use like a medium action, don't wanna lose all my tone. My strat has medium action (low for a strat) my ibanez neck has needed adjusted since Sept, but I'm too lazy to do it, since I have paying customers that pay me to do theirs.

I like low action, I have a friend Pete who bitches if it's not super low, so no you're not the only one who likes low action [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X