Downside to single locking trems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downside to single locking trems?

I've been thinking of buying a KE3 and blocking the tremolo. Since I wouldn't be using the trem, it seems pointless to have to deal with clamping the strings into the bridge. Guitar Fetish has a FR Licensed single locking tremolo which seems like it might be good for my uses - due to easier string changing. Are there any cons to a trem like this? It seems like all Floyds should be this way...

LINK: http://store.guitarfetish.com/blflroflotrs.html

Note that it says "fastloader" not speedloader. It takes normal strings.

it still probably wont stay in tune as well as a Floyd. i know someone on some board (maybe here, maybe Harmony Central) got one and couldnt keep it in tune very well. not sure if he blocked it.

i dont really find cutting the strings and clamping them to be all that bothersome, so a single locking system and its possible tuning instability wouldnt cut it for me...i have to have the stability of the double locking stuff
    My metal band Lucian Scott
    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
    Available Now!
    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Since you're blocking the trem, it'll be fine.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

+1 for fine w/blocked trem.

It will be fine w/the trem blocked. I have a Fastloader (chrome). I tried it out on my DX10D, unblocked and blocked. Not quite consistent enough to replace the DL Floyd due to several obvious reasons. But it worked like a champ when I tried it w/the trem blocked.
        In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

> Since you're blocking the trem, it'll be fine.

> +1 for fine w/blocked trem.

+1 from me too. Blocked trem is basically a hardtail if you don't use the whammy bar.
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

What's the point of buying a guitar with a trem if your not going to use it is what I don't understand. Why bother with changing the bridge/nut, etc. There are other guitars out there with similar body styles to the Kelly that have hard tails. Looked at any of those?

Comment

Originally posted by anothersomeone View Post
              What's the point of buying a guitar with a trem if your not going to use it is what I don't understand. Why bother with changing the bridge/nut, etc. There are other guitars out there with similar body styles to the Kelly that have hard tails. Looked at any of those?
              Blocked floyd guitars stay in tune better than most hardtails because it still uses a locking nut and has fine tuners. I installed a kahler string lock on BC Rich and a roller tune-o-matic bridge with a schaller fine tune tailpiece and it stays in tune like a champ now.

Comment

Interesting... All I've ever played regularly was my hard tail, PRS Mcarty and I've never had any tuning issues with it. Just thought it was interesting to go through all the work to have a guitar with a trem and then block it is all.

Comment

Working...
                X