help me - complex wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me - complex wiring

no idea how to do this and can't find the proper diagrams in the usual places.

1-hum/1 vol/1 tone, 2 push-pull pots

Want vol to split the hum and want the tone to do series/parallel. Any help?

Re: help me - complex wiring

Not sure you can do it with standard dpdt switches but just take a look at a Duncan wiring sheet. They show you how to do the series/parallel wiring. Wire one switch in series parallel. The other switch would theoretically be wired to "tap" one of the coils - that is, to ground out one coils. To do this you run the two wires from one of the coils (usually red and white on a Duncan) to a switch that shorts to ground in one position. Not sure you can do both at once but it may be possible. Give it a try and find out [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

how about making one push/pull a coil tap and the other push/pull a kill switch? Someone just please tell me where to solder the wires so I can be done [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

You cant do series/parallel and split/hum
        but you can do a Phase out of phase/ split/hum
        I have that on my Dean Belaire but i used DPST mini switches. The green and black (duncan) would go to one switch to do the phase then the white and red to the other to split it. You do have to run a wire form a hot lug out of the phase switch to the splitter switch to make it work properly. At least I did.
        Gil

Comment

You can try this, looks like it will do what you originally asked. If you leave the series/parrallel switch in the series position, the coil split switch should then act as a kilswitch. Be mindfull of how you wire it so that your normal playing position would keep the switches pushed in.

Comment

To split the hum do the following:

when the pot is face down (as though you're looking at it installed inside the control cavity) you'll notice three pairs of lugs on the top of it and then the usual three lugs down below. Leave the first pair of lugs empty, nothing will be wired to them. The middle set of lugs needs to be connected to eachother and here you will wire the series link (or split wires from the pickup, on a Duncan that would be the red and white). Then, the last pair of lugs needs to be connected to eachother and then wired to ground. Now, take the hot wire of your pickup (on a Duncan the black) and wire it to the left most lug of the pot's normal set of three lugs. The middle lug goes to your output jack. The third lug needs to be grounded to the pot. Finally, take the ground wires of your pickup (on a Duncan that's the green and bare) and ground them to the back of the pot. This wiring allows you to split your humbucker when the pot is pulled up and is normal full humbucking when the pot is pushed down.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Thank you all for your efforts - especially Quigin for the diagram and Charvel750 for the use of color coding. You have all been promoted to my-main-man status.

Comment

Working...
              X