Tuning probs 71 Gibson LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning probs 71 Gibson LP

Hey guys, Im a bit stumped for vintage guitar quirks..

I have this 71 LP Gold top and the GBE strings will just not stay in tune.
    The guitar is properly intonated etc...

I had thought that this was a stereotypical problem that Gibson had with the Gibson Kluson style tune keys on the older models.

Was this correct and was there a remedy to it?
    Any serviceable parts to fix in the tuner gears themselves or is replacement the only resolution.

Lemme know what ya got.

Thanks

Re: Tuning probs 71 Gibson LP

If you are worried about maintaining the vintage "value" of the instrument, find replacements that don't require any mods to the headstock, and set the originals aside. Also, check the nut and see if the strings are binding in it-replacing the nut should not really affect the value as long as you use a similiar one, plus it would be less hassle than replacing the tuners.

Comment

had a 71 custom with no tuning issues, but how's the nut? you could be pinched in there, or the slot base may not have any fallaway left in there...? could also be the tuners, but i'd think that if they were bad, they'd all be bad....?

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Tuner abuse depends on the user - if a previous owner was constantly tuning down to fake trem actions, or doing other monkey bizness, then they'd wear pretty quick.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ah well,

thanks for the input guys. The nut was fine on it so the tuners were replaced and seems to have done the trick.

Scott

Comment

Working...
          X