No announcement yet.

Anyone installed OFR into JT-590 route?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone installed OFR into JT-590 route?

Hello All!
    I'm new to this forum, so please forgive if I'm posting or threading in the wrong way. I was givin a custom graphic 91 USA soloist (2pc poplar come on) but it didn't come with the schaller made (JT-590) trem unit. What's diffrent about this body is the routing. This has that swimming pool type route where the routing angles down toward the rear of the body. So I was wondering if anyone has done the swap and wouldn't mind posting any pics they may have. I do realize that the string locking allen screws are too long for the rear, so there would defintely be limited pull up if any. Also what tonal diffrences would there be with this poplar body? So many players recommend getting the OFR if you can, and since the price isn't that much of a diffrence, I'm really considering it. And for my next question I should point out that this body is routed for a single humbucker. Would a brass block be a good thing for this body? Anyway thanks for any info on this subject.

Matt

When I was a guitar noob, I swapped my shot JT-590 with an OFR on a Rhoads Pro. It intonated nicely, but as you already know, the locking bolts exceeded the route making pull-up limited. Also, it looks horrible to the trained eye. See pic below.

With regards to tonal diff... Having played a lot of trem-equipped guitars, the ones with the most vibrant acoustical sound is definitely the ones with an OFR using the original type studs, that screws directly into the wood. Just my opinion.

Swimming pool route: sounds a little confusing to me. I normally associate "swimming pool" with the route made for the pickups in a strat body - not the route for the tremolo..?

Last edited by jackson1; 04-15-2007, 03:55 AM.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I see comments here on JCF quite a lot about the OFR locking bolts exceeding the route on older bodies. Is it really that hard to find shorter locking bolts? That seems like a stupidly simple solution. Unless those locking bolts are some special type of bolt not commonly available. I don't have an OFR so I can't check them.

If it is a special bolt not commonly available, what about just shortening them so they will fit inside the route? Assuming there are enough threads for that of course.
      My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

A Schaller Floyd (a.k.a. "Floyd Rose II") will fit perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by cbope View Post
          I see comments here on JCF quite a lot about the OFR locking bolts exceeding the route on older bodies. Is it really that hard to find shorter locking bolts? That seems like a stupidly simple solution. Unless those locking bolts are some special type of bolt not commonly available. I don't have an OFR so I can't check them.

If it is a special bolt not commonly available, what about just shortening them so they will fit inside the route? Assuming there are enough threads for that of course.

I found some pics of the locking bolts here http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm

Definitely a special item and not so simple to shorten, though it could be done.
          My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Here's a link showing the type of routing I was reffering to. Anyone know the correct term for that type of routing? Thanks for the replies!
            http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/jac...pics/6601a.jpg

Comment

You need a Schaller trem... direct replacement. Try www.warmoth.com , they have the best prices on schallers.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
              X