String Windings Distorting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Windings Distorting

Today I was tuning my Ibanez after putting on new strings, and on the high E I'd get it up around D#, and I will hear the sound of the string breaking. The tuning drops way off, and the winding around the tuner is all distorted/loose. Try and tune it back up again, same thing. So I try another thing, and the problem repeats. Guess its not my day for tech issues . so any idea whats up with this? Its not doing it on any of my other guitars, and I've wound strings the same way on them.

Slippery string wind or slippery string...
    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

bad tuner possibly? maybe it cant take the tension and is slipping?
      My metal band Lucian Scott
      Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
      Available Now!
      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Does your tuner have a screw at the end of the button, or whatever those things are called? Tighten that screw.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

It has a screw on the key, but not the bottom. Im guessing it will do the same thing?

Comment

That's what I meant.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

The screw on the top of the tuning key only adjust the amount of torque it takes to turn it for tuning that string. It does NOT keepo a bad tuner from slipping under tension. Sounds like a gear or something may be broken in the tuner and It's slipping because of it. Try a new tuning machine first if ya can or maybe swap it out with one of the other strings tuners that would have less tension on it.
              Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                The screw on the top of the tuning key only adjust the amount of torque it takes to turn it for tuning that string. It does NOT keepo a bad tuner from slipping under tension. Sounds like a gear or something may be broken in the tuner and It's slipping because of it. Try a new tuning machine first if ya can or maybe swap it out with one of the other strings tuners that would have less tension on it.
                Gil
                I switched it with the tuner from the 6th string with the same result. Could the string tree height be affecting this?

Comment

What type of bridge do you have? If it is a locking, make sure the clamps are tight, there is a chance that as the tension gets higher it is pulling the string out a little. If it is a vintage trem or string through body, the string windings at the ball end might be catching on something and freeing up as you are tightening. Also, try a little solder on the windings, they may be tightening on themselves and letting the string slip.

Comment

Working...
                  X