Painting - getting off cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting - getting off cheap

Ok, Has anyone here tried those Testors Airbrush kits with the can of compressed air as a propellant? I'm not looking to start my own refin shop or shell out top dollar for top product, and I'm not looking for GMW-quality, but it does have to be passable without looking like a 3rd grader did it.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Painting - getting off cheap

The problem is covering that much area with a small airbrush in a thick enough coat. Trust me, you'd be better of with Krylon and a steady hand than a cheapass airbrush.

Comment

Ah HAH! But I don't want to do the entire surface, I want small things like lines and stuff [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Well then I would go for it. But it takes some practice so have fun!!

Dave->
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

testors is to air brush what ed roman is to guitars from what i hear on this site.(never dealt with him so i am goin on advice about him i got here).either way dont go with testors.
          http://www.bearair.com/
          go here and look at the paasche for $59.00 this is all you will need except compressor and paint
          compressor can be had from wal mart or a pawn shop for cheap. the ones on the site i linked to is pricey cause they are super quiet. i use a cambell hausfeild (prolly spelled wrong) its small portable and inexpensive.
          a good cup gun can be had a walmart for around 50 bucks and remember to use that for your clearcoat. DONT use the airbrush for clearcoats or you will be looking for a new airbrush.(clears eat the seals out of the airbrush and dry hard very quick in the tiny airbrush making clean-up a nightmare at best.
          also check e-bay for airbrush and compressors
          and yes you can make alot of money doin graphics on just about anything if you pratice.
          contact me if i can be any help in your project. i airbrush and custom paint in my spare time and its alot of fun.
          if someone here can help me learn how to post pix in these posts i would add some samples of my work

Comment

Chopper, use the search function "posting pics" member #103 you'll get good results I bet.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Actually I'm having remarkable success using waterslide decals for larger graphic stuff, I just need the minimal airbrush right now to finish the one I'm working on - very thin grey lines and small dots. Since the lines/dots won't look right on the waterslides (white background on the decal, too difficult to cut by hand without leaving a white edge or chewing into the grey), I need paint. The Testors stuff should be good enough for that for now.

Newc

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                Chopper, use the search function "posting pics" member #103 you'll get good results I bet.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ok i found the thread but i suck at puters lol.i went to the site and cant get anything to work right for me,think i will stick to learning guitars for now. anyway here is a link to my yahoo profile with pix of my art on paper and a few guitars i have done and a few bikes i have airbrushed
                http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chopper45hd/my_photos

Comment

In that case... don't get a shitty Testors cheapass airbrush. I had one, it blew. Get a good airbrush. Badger makes some that are $100 or less and it'll last forever and not suck. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You can buy compressed air cans separately, but in a short time you'll want to get a compressor.

If you could do this and be good at it, you could probably make enough off of local metal kids that want some tribal shit on their Bronze Warlock to at least cover the cost of the stuff. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't know about their airbrushes now,but when I was painting models I bought one and it was non-adjustable.You couldn't paint thin lines with them plus you go through so much of the canned air that it would have been cheaper to just get a compressor in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                    X