Weird Grounding Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Grounding Issue

Heres a unique one for ya: Whenever I press the strings, the moment they touch the frets, I start to get a buzz. Its not enough to be heard over my playing, but it annoys me. It also goes away when I put my other hand on the strings at the same time. So whats going on here? This is on my DK2T.

Sounds like you have a body or string ground problem.
    Does it do this when you touch anything else that's metal- knobs, trem etc?

You will want to check and see if there are body grounds drilled under the pick ups and the electronics cav.
    Make sure they are not loose or disconnected where the ground out.
    You will want to also check all other grounds in the loop as well.
    Wont hurt to unsolder them, recut the wires with a fresh exposure and resolder them.
    Of course you can always just re hit the existing solder joints 1st to see if that helps....

Comment

Try checking if there is a ground from trem claw to ground on pot. Possibly input jack wired backwards? or you could remove rear covers and post a pic of wiring.

Comment

And this is what makes it even more odd. All the grounds APPEAR to be correct. all the grounds behind the pickups are okay, the output jack is wired correctly, and it doesnt happen when I touch any metal parts. There is a slight hum in the back ground that goes away when I touch the metal parts like the knobs, bridge, and strings, but comes back as soon as the strings hit the frets.

My other guitars are also all okay in terms of ground issues. When I was in the electronics cavity about a week ago to see if everything was holding up I knocked a ground loose but resoldered it. Maybe I didn't solder it very well, but it looks okay. So I guess I'll just resolder the grounds and see what happens.

Comment

Let us know how that works out...

Comment

Originally posted by vwall guitars View Post
            You will want to check and see if there are body grounds drilled under the pick ups and the electronics cav.
            I know most of my Jackson guitars have these 'body grounds' but what are these used for? They're just screwing into the wood.

thanks!

joe...
            www.godwentpunk.com
            www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Resoldered them all, same deal. I guess I'll take this to get it serviced next week, as I'm lost.

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
                I know most of my Jackson guitars have these 'body grounds' but what are these used for? They're just screwing into the wood.

thanks!

joe...
                They are in the ground line.
                if you trace them to the source you will see them soldered to a pot casing or similar.
                They used as a body ground.
                Without them, you become the ground and when not touching the instrument can likely can a buzz or hum..

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                  Resoldered them all, same deal. I guess I'll take this to get it serviced next week, as I'm lost.
                  Yeah, thats the best solution.
                  there are several possibilities involved.
                  I can really assess it properly with out the guitar in front of me...

Comment

Working...
                  X