Need your help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your help!

Ok guys I need a wiring diagram. I had my local tech rewire my RR1 so that it would be vol/vol/tone. The problem is there is a small amount of bleed though when the volume is turned all the way down (it doesn’t matter which pickup). All new wire was put in and the pots are as follows vol (250) vol (250) tone (500). I’m having him put in all 500k pots today. I have already search the web and come across a handful of diagrams for this but nothing seems to work. We even have tried to switch the middle wire which I was told would fix the problem. Which made it make less noise, but it still bleeds. Any suggestions would be great.
    www.kiddhavok.com
    www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Re: Need your help!

Don't turn the volume all the way down! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

You said "any" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

First rule of experimental wiring - use color-coded jumper clips until you find your desired combo, then solder accordingly. Soldering and unsoldering and resoldering will wear the wires and pots quickly.

Also, run your pickups to the V-pots first, not the switch, then from each Volume to the switch prongs, then from the switch to the Tone, then to the Output.
      If that doesn't work, run the pickups to the switch first and tap the Volume pots to the respective switch prong/pickup leads, then switch to Tone, Tone to Out.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks guys, yes even you Ron. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        www.kiddhavok.com

Comment

I would have used 500k pots to start with.Try a .22 hovland cap.
          I agree on the alligator jumper lead idea that is the only way to go.It saves time and keeps the headaches from coming back. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It's normal for a guitar with two volumes to do that. If you turn down the second volume as well at the same time, you shouldn't get any bleed through. With two volumes, you can have it independent or master wiring so you won't get the bleed through.

Also, I don't know why you used 250k for the volumes instead of 500k. 250 are usually better for tone. I don't think it's really a bad thing, just a little darker sounding the way you did it. Maybe you wanted it that way? It's a little unusual and not the norm, but as long as it works for you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Guys,
              I got the guitar back today (2/13/04).I had he rewire the guitar back to stock but with better wire. After all that is still has bledd though.

The set up right now is vol(500)master tone (250)bridge tone (250)neck. It has all brand new cloth wire and new caps. The tech is trying to tell me that that is just the way it is that I will just have to live with it.When I gave him the guitar it perfect no bleed what so ever. I have 11 guitars, 3 with 2 vol/knobs and none of the have bleed though.

I went to the duncan web site,not much help there. I'm about over it. Where can I send this to get it fixed? Then I'm just gonna sell the damm thing.
              www.kiddhavok.com

Comment

Try guitarelectronics.com

They have a ton of schematics and stuff, and they have "live" tech help.

Comment

Double check the grounded lug ont volume on the volume pot to make sure its making contactand grounded properly to the chassis of the pot. It should work with two V and one tone the way newc said. Think of a Les Paul wiring. The pups go to the switch then to the volume pot and then the tones and out. Its got to be something with the pot itslf not so much as to how its wired realy. The grounded lug for shut off is usually the culprit.
                  Gil

Comment

Guys,
                    Thanks for all the help. Kevein Easton has a tip/mod for this that he emailed me. Thanks Kev [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                    www.kiddhavok.com

Comment

Try another tech. There shouldn't be any bleed through. I have a guitar with two volumes and a tone that i made myself, and both VU's work fine. If this asshole is telling you to "live with it" he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing.

Comment

Working...
                      X