Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do YOU find unique in string brands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do YOU find unique in string brands?

What do you find unique in :

DR
    D'Addario
    GHS
    Ernie Ball
    (Other)

?
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

DRs last a long time, don't break, don't corrode, and are consistent from package to package.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
      DRs last a long time, don't break, don't corrode, and are consistent from package to package.
      I agree, although DR's turn my fingers black if I don't play the guitar everyday. All the rest are strings, excepting GHS boomers. On vintage trems I use Fender Bullets, then RPS Ernie Ball on others, DR's for guitars I want the strings to last for awhile. Martin Marquis on Martins. Adamas strings on Ovations and Pyramid Flatwounds on my Gretsch's and Pyramid Gold Flatwounds on my 12 string electrics. DR's on 6 string basses and Fender and Rotosound on 4 string basses. Gibson strings on my Mandolins. I could go on:ROTF:, but 9 times out of ten on electrics, I use Ernie Ball strings. I just have for years. I remember when Ernie first came out with the strings in the 60's, we used to go over to a bin and pick them out individually. Ah those were the days
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

+1 for DR's being consistent and little worry about breakage. I use them almost exclusively except for when I'm pissin around with temp setups. For that I use Boomers. They're good enough in a pinch and anything half assed works when you're planning on pulling them off pretty quick.

Seems like Boomers are either loved or hated. To each their own. All I use is DR's and Boomers presently and for a while now. Tried many others though. Some others (eb, bullets, etc.) aren't bad.
        In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

I'm using Elixirs. I like the long life and shine that they have, the slippery feeling that never goes away and I like how they remove that string noise that you get when changing chord positions.

I'm really considering trying DRs next time because of the lower price and I'd like to know if DRs are like that too (long life, shiny all the time, slippery, remove string noise)?

Comment

Ernie Balls last me practically forever. Even when they need to be changed, they still have good tone and stay in tune (unless they're REALLY old, in which case I change them).

GHS makes a lot of the "name brand" strings - D'Addario, Dean Markley, etc - but Ernie Ball makes their own, and I use them on everything.

Dean Markley Blue Steels were great when they came out but they die quickly under casual use.

Regular Dean Markleys aren't much better.

D'Addario plain (1-3) strings feel square, and it takes forever to get them stretched.

GHS just plain blow. Never had a set I liked.

S.I.T.s do not stay in tune (made by GHS)

With EBs I don't HAVE to wipe down the strings when I'm done. While it may be part of "good housekeeping" to do so, you just don't have to do it with EB Slinkys.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Also, I like how DRs (even the thick gauges) tend to be more flexible.
              Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
              Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
              Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

I used to be a huge Ernie Ball fan, but everything that has been said about DRs converted me A bit more then some others, but worth it. I tried GHS Zakk Wyldes, but I got tired of those after a couple sets.

GHS makes a lot of the "name brand" strings - D'Addario, Dean Markley, etc - but Ernie Ball makes their own, and I use them on everything.
                Go figure, I don't like GHS, d'addario, or Dean Markley

Comment

i like my ernie balls, allways have

Comment

ive tried a few different brands...GHS, SIT, DAddario, EB, DR, and the Just Strings.com bulk sets. all of them work...and ive never really had a problem with any, but DRs rule above all others. they just feel better and sound better to me. i used them a long time ago, and used the 10-54 set they had, and then discontinued. so i used other strings...recently went back to DRs after being annoyed at some intonation problems i was having with my RR3, and lack of sustain...well, needless to say, the DRs went on and were amazing.
                    ive got two sets of the 11-50 Black Beauties to try on my RR3, but the ones on there (regular 11-50s) arent done yet. LOL although im gonna have to get some 9-46 sometime soon, my bulk strings are about to run out LOL
                    My metal band Lucian Scott
                    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                    Available Now!
                    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

like the ad says - Balls are Best !
                      I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Daddario don't like staying in tune. They are made to piss people off.

Comment

10-46 GHS Boomers has been pretty much my main string choice since the '80s for E and Eb tuning. I also use Carvin strings (Boomers in Carvin packaging, just less expensive).

Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11-48 for D or Eb tuning on certain guitars.

Got a couple sets of DR Hi-Beams 11-50 from Mark (MM2002) a few months back for D tuning on my Dinky. I dig them. Like everyone else says, they last a long time without corrosion.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use DR strings on all my guitars, except the "specialty purpose" guitars.

YJM strat: the Dean Markley YJM signature set

Meanstreet EVH Frankenstrat: Fender pure nickel (helps to get EVH's tone)

I was reluctant to try DR for a long time, but DR seem to be well liked on all the guitar forums, so I tried a set, and now that's all I use.

Comment

fenders feel soft and daddarios feel hard in my opinion. especially 1-3 strings. too bad i cant get dr strings where i live. i would love to try them out
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCw4Es1ARzY
                              http://www.soundclick.com/milkmen

Comment

Working...
                              X