Neck pocket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck pocket question

I just picked up a Warmoth Rhoads copy. The headstock angle from the nut to the low E tuner is a bit extreme and even with the nut filed the low E wants to pop out. I was going to fit the body with a neck off of a Rhoads EX, but of course as my luck would have it the neck pocket is too small for the Jackson neck. Is there an easy fix for this ? Would it be ok to mod the neck or guitar ?? Which would be better ?? I'm not looking to throw a whole lot of money at this thing so if I can correct it with what I have that would be great ! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Neck pocket question

Was the body painted/clearcoated?
    You might just need to sand the edges of the neck pocket if there's a lot of overspray on it, or even if not.
    I'd mod the neck pocket before modding the neck.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

No, it's a Warmoth swamp ash body and unfinished. So, should I just do an even route-out of the 1/8th inch I'm needing on the neck pocket ? I also dug up a Washburn pointy neck w/ sharkfins (the Rhoads EX has dots) - I think the Washburn might look a little better on it, but using the Rhoads neck would be a little more "correct" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

agreed on modding the pocket first; the difference is that most jackson necks have a 2 1/4" heel, and the warmoth stuff needs a 2 3/16 heel. you can rout it if you want, but you may also be able to sand it open a bit.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I filed the neck pocket of a Warmoth tele body I had by hand. It took a while, but the fit was perfect. I wouldn't suggest that unless you're REALLY bored. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks BM, Sully (as always !) and Newc. Good advice !! Think I'll try the sanding approach first as that seems least invasive and easiest to hide as far as mistakes go !! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X