Korina vs Mahogany?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korina vs Mahogany?

If I was to go with a Korina body instead of Mahogany on a Charvel could I maintain some of that warmth and punch while at the same time not have to have a 9lb strat?

i don't really know about warm and all that crap, but korina has a better resale value, and the world supply is running out.
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
      If I was to go with a Korina body instead of Mahogany on a Charvel could I maintain some of that warmth and punch while at the same time not have to have a 9lb strat?
      Yes! The overall tone is very similar (IMO), but the Korina is lighter. You may loose a miniscual amount of low end response over the mahogany, but that can be fixed with a pickup or amps setup. Typically, the Korina is slightly lighter and similar in tone to the mahogany. Also, there are two types of Korina, white and the black. The white is becoming more scarce and takes transparent or tinted finishes very well.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Mahogony isn't always heavy.A strat body in it would lighter than alder IMO.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          Mahogony isn't always heavy.A strat body in it would lighter than alder IMO.
          Sorry, but I disagree with part of this statement. The first part I agree with. Mahogany is not always heavy but on average it is heavier than Alder. Typically the darker the mahogany the heavier it is.

As far as Limba(Korina) here is a picture of some I have that is ready to be cut and joined to make a couple of killer bodies

Comment

mahogany definately has a tighter bass response... brighter highs...scooped mids.
            not all mahogany is heavy .

limba [korina] has very pronounced ,yet smooth mids, trimmed highs and definately a squishy bass response...

its a tone/wood you either love or hate.

I had a custom shop hamer standard made last year...ordered it because the cutting ban is coming.
            she has a one piece korina body and neck. ebony board with a spalted maple top
            [only one theyve ever done and very likely the last one]
            I went with ebony and a maple top to try and brighten the guitar back up some...
            she's a real looker but a bit middy for my tastes being and alder body stratehead v-trem man at heart.

pickups dont seem to do much to alter korina... I have a duncan jazz neck which is wonderful, and a custom in the bridge position.. I had considered a distortion but figured it would only add to the mids...I may order a custom 5 and see what that gives me..

if you do order korina go with black, as it can very striking in appearance. tonally I dont hear a difference from the white.
            but before you spend ....do some playing on one to get a feel for what this wood brings to the table... depending on the amp you could be very happy or very disappointed.

I like the idea of a korina tele to trim back some of the bite...

my hamer is an investment piece, nothing more...its a good time to be stocking up on korina pieces.

Comment

Well you would know better that I would slash.It was just an observation of what guitars I have had.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
              X