Volume pot problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume pot problem?

I have recently picked up a Les Paul for my arsenal (again!). I have found that even when both volume knobs are set to zero, the guitar can still be heard, quite audibly through the amp. It is so loud that I can tune the guitar with the volumes off! What causes this problem? And what is the fix for it? The guitar has Duncans in it a JB/bridge, 59/neck, if that matters. The tone pots appear original, dated 1978, on an 81 model, but both volumes are dated 1993, so they have obviously been changed. What gives? Thanks in advance. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

ps. I will do a write-up with pics on this way cool guitar in the Non-Jackson section soon.

Re: Volume pot problem?

Hi Jeff,are you sure everything is grounded properly,that was the cure when I had this problem once!! & I'm looking forward to the revue!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

It's normal in guitars with two volume controls for that to happen, especially Les Pauls. But usually when you turn both volumes down, then the sound goes away. My Hamer with V/V/T does the same thing with its two EMG 81s. Rick from EMG sent me a diagram about master and independent wiring where you can wire it up so you won't get any bleed through if it really bugs you. I remember Genebaby here mentioned something about that wiring one time when he had the same thing happen on one of his Les Pauls. It's kind of strange your guitar still does it with both volumes at zero, so maybe it is a grounding problem? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Check to see if you have treble bleeds (caps) installed on the volume pots. I have had many guitars that bled with the volume off. It is usually a result of faulty or bad quality volume pots.

Comment

I do know that you can modify the vol pot wiring so that the two pots actually work independently of each other by moving the hot wires from the pups to the center posts instead of the outside posts, then running the outside post to the switch instead of the center posts. I have no idea if this could cause your problem but may be something to try.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Well, I ordered a couple of new pots. I will double check, but I think that it is wired with the pickups hot lead to the center lug of the volume pot on both already. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Go to rsguitarworks.net get the les paul pot upgrade kit.You will be glad you did.They are way better than the stock linear pots gibson uses.They are matched CTS 500+K pots and Hovland caps.I used this kit on my LP studio and I was amazed at the difference,were talking HUGE tone. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I got the RS Guitarworks upgrade kit, WOW what a difference. I actually have functioning tone controls, independent volume controls that shut off fully, and huge wide open tone! I can't say enough good things about this kit. It also gave me back the full range of my volume pots. Before it was turn them on past 2 and they were immediately at full volume. Now I have all those nice in between tones, and I can clean up a distorted sound with the volume. This is also the first time I have ever heard a truly discernable difference with tone knob. I mean they have altered the tone in the past, but nothing like this, with completely useable range. I also had a lot of fun wiring this thing up. Took me just under two hours, to get rid of all of the old parts and wire up the new. The RS kit is somewhat complex in comparison to stock wiring. Amazing! the difference is like night and day. Thanks for the tip. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X