Darken the fretboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darken the fretboard

Anyone know of good ways to darken the wood on a fretboard? I heard about someone using shoe polish or something of the sort.....can i just use regular wood stain?
    ----------
    Gear Action - Washburn Dime 2ST Pro, BC Rich NT Jr. V w/EMG, Dean DFH/CFH, Dean V-Coustic, Jackson USA KV2, Peavey 5150 II, Randall 412CXM, BBE 362 Sonic maximizer, Alesis 3630 noise gate

how about oiling it? I am considering oiling mine. A member suggested a couple of Dunlop products. One was for cleaning and other for conditioning. now sure if that will darken the wood or not.
    Sam

Comment

cool man thanks for the links
      ----------
      Gear Action - Washburn Dime 2ST Pro, BC Rich NT Jr. V w/EMG, Dean DFH/CFH, Dean V-Coustic, Jackson USA KV2, Peavey 5150 II, Randall 412CXM, BBE 362 Sonic maximizer, Alesis 3630 noise gate

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
        how about oiling it? I am considering oiling mine. A member suggested a couple of Dunlop products. One was for cleaning and other for conditioning. now sure if that will darken the wood or not.
        Lemon oil will naturally darken the board. Of course you will have to keep oiling the board to keep it dark because once the lemon oil evapourates it's back to square one. I've had good luck with the Dr Stringfellow (Kyser) stuff.
        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
          Lemon oil will naturally darken the board. Of course you will have to keep oiling the board to keep it dark because once the lemon oil evapourates it's back to square one. I've had good luck with the Dr Stringfellow (Kyser) stuff.
          Is this the one?
          http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...2&src=3SOSWXXA
          Sam

Comment

that's the one. Good stuff.
            Hail yesterday

Comment

What's wrong with rosewood?! Just get an ebony neck if you want it black...
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

oh, I meant to mention before: lemon oil will only really darken a rosewood fretboard if it's particularly dry. A couple of my Model series Charvels show no difference when you oil them - they will look cleaner once you're done, but no darker. Partly because the rosewood is so dark already, but also because I never let them dry out to that state anyway. And I probably only oil them once or twice per year
                Hail yesterday

Comment

After extensive Googling, I came across this:

Fret Doctor
                  http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

It doesn't "darken" the fretboard per se, but rather restores the fretboard to its original color.

I have applied it to all my rosewood and ebony fretboard guitars with great results.

My DK2 had a almost orange color rosewood board, and I bought it used like that, so I always thought that's just the way it is. With a single application, the orange was gone, replaced by a very dark chocolate brown. Not only that, now I can actually see the beautiful grain that it has always had.

Same story for my 2004 DK2S, which had a very dry and very pale rosewood board.

I have the Dunlop system too, but after using the Fret Doctor, the Dunlop system feels very gummy and artificial. Whereas AFAIK, the Fret Doctor is mostly natural. It sure FEELS more natural, and doesn't have that artificial chemical smell that all commercially available "lemon oil" have.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Chang View Post
                    After extensive Googling, I came across this:

Fret Doctor
                    http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

It doesn't "darken" the fretboard per se, but rather restores the fretboard to its original color.

I have applied it to all my rosewood and ebony fretboard guitars with great results.

My DK2 had a almost orange color rosewood board, and I bought it used like that, so I always thought that's just the way it is. With a single application, the orange was gone, replaced by a very dark chocolate brown. Not only that, now I can actually see the beautiful grain that it has always had.

Same story for my 2004 DK2S, which had a very dry and very pale rosewood board.

I have the Dunlop system too, but after using the Fret Doctor, the Dunlop system feels very gummy and artificial. Whereas AFAIK, the Fret Doctor is mostly natural. It sure FEELS more natural, and doesn't have that artificial chemical smell that all commercially available "lemon oil" have.
                    Good stuff Leo. Thanks for the post!
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Black sharpie works great.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
                        I've had good luck with the Dr Stringfellow (Kyser) stuff.
                        Me too
                        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Heres a pretty good tutorial:http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8862

I dont know how much I agree with soaking the fretboard with conditioner as much as he's suggesting. It has petrolium distilates in it most likely and dry wood is gonna swell as it soaks more and more of it up. The fretboard on my 2001 WRMG was pretty dried out when I got it so I soaked it pretty good with Gibson's Luthiers Choice fretboard conditioner, using the method this guy suggests, and I believe this is what caused some of my high frets to spring a bit. I am considering ebonizing my rosewood too, but then again, it sure is pretty how it is.
                          Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

Comment

Fretdoctor works great I am a happy customer of that product.

Comment

Working...
                            X