Parallel humbucker wiring? Wiring help and suggestions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallel humbucker wiring? Wiring help and suggestions needed

I've got a couple DiMarzios I'm going to throw in my Warrior MG... an X2N and a Super 2. The three-way switch and EMG HZ pups and turbo booster have been ripped out and the guitar's now got a five-way switch. Positions 1, 3 and 5 I want to be wired like normal humbuckers (in series), but I'm not sure how I want to split 2 and 4. My Fender Double Fat Strat has a switch like this with position 2 as the inner coils of both pups, and position 4 is the top coil of the neck that does get a little typical single coil noise.
    A normal humbucker has the two coils wired in series, but I know the coils can be wired in parallel to approximate single coil sounds with no hum. Is this close enough to a single coil sound, or should I just split the coils and live with the hum? Or should I split the two pickups' outer coils or maybe an outer and inner?
    There's one volume and one tone control and, to make matters even more complicated, the empty third hole where the turbo booster was will be replaced with a Chandler Tone-X midboost push/pull pot. I've never done my own wiring before and don't really know where to start, but I think I want to try it. How would I wire this whole thing up? I'm actually still waiting for the midbooster to arrive, so nothing's been done yet. [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Parallel humbucker wiring? Wiring help and suggestions needed

To my ear, parallel always sounded more P90-ish than strat-ish. Shore is quieter, though.
    I guess it would depend on just how faithful to a strat sound you want to be.

Comment

Hmmm, I like the P90 sound. It doesn't really need to be that close to the strat sound, and quieter is good. Maybe I will do the parallel thing. Thanks, Chuck. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer to go parallel with them too. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I'll report back when I get all my accessories in a few days and everything's wired up. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X