Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you take fine tuner off a floyd rose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you take fine tuner off a floyd rose?

I don't know how you do that :/. I have two Schaller floyds and also one Jackson JT580. If try to unscrew it and take it off, it stops at one point and won't go any further. I does that on all three floyds I have. I vaguely remember that it was like that on Ibanez RG270DX that I had over year ago. Is there a trick or something? I don't want to force it and risk stripping the threads.
    I'm asking because I'm getting some spare Schaller fine tuners tomorrow and I'm thinking about changing one of them on my RR PRO (just for the cosmetic reasons).

We talked about this here not long ago. I'm too lazy to do a search myself, but I posted in the thread, so search for that :-)

The fine tuner is deformed at the bottom (at purpose) to avoid it to unscrew itself. I have unscrewed the fine tuners on a JT-590, but I can't recommend it. You have to use tools and the thread might be shot trying - both in the baseplate and/or the tuner itself.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Okay, here ya' go!

THE LINKYDUDEROUS
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks Henrik! Yes, I remember about this thread (haven't followed it much after first few posts). I searched for "fine tuner" and "fine tuners" and it didn't come up :/.

So I guess I won't be replacing any fine tuners .
        Last edited by Nazgul; 04-11-2007, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Why on gods name would anyone want to do that. some things are just not spoken.
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

If you took your trem apart as far as Henrik's pics show in that linked thread, then turn the fine tuners in all the way (so you have lots of thread showing on the back side), flip the trem upsidedown and you could then use a dremel grinder or cutoff wheel to remove the end portion of the threads where the factory deformed them to keep them from falling out.

Think about it....the factory originally screwed them in, then used a tool of some sort to deform the very end. So if you cut off that very end part, you would be able to unscrew the old ones without damaging the threads in the baseplate.

When you install your new fine tuners, unless you deform the end of those, your new ones would have the ability to back themselves all the way out.

It's up to you if the above is worth the time and hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
              Why on gods name would anyone want to do that. some things are just not spoken.
              I said in the first post. Cosmetic reasons. But it's not worth it.

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
              If you took your trem apart as far as Henrik's pics show in that linked thread, then turn the fine tuners in all the way (so you have lots of thread showing on the back side), flip the trem upsidedown and you could then use a dremel grinder or cutoff wheel to remove the end portion of the threads where the factory deformed them to keep them from falling out.

Think about it....the factory originally screwed them in, then used a tool of some sort to deform the very end. So if you cut off that very end part, you would be able to unscrew the old ones without damaging the threads in the baseplate.

When you install your new fine tuners, unless you deform the end of those, your new ones would have the ability to back themselves all the way out.

It's up to you if the above is worth the time and hassle.
              I was thinking that would be the best solution too. But it certainly isn't worth time and hassle.

Comment

Working...
              X