Bolts ons vs set necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolts ons vs set necks

I get this feeling that bolt ons are not as good as set necks?

is it just a myth?

fender guitar i tried was pretty nice ($1200), but they are bolt ons.

What are your views on it?

Re: Bolts ons vs set necks

[img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Not this again [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Ok, look, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a bolt-on neck. It is not inferior to a neckthrough or set-in neck, it's just less expensive to make a bolt-on because it's two parts that are easily replaced. That's it. Period. There are no sustain, tone, or quality differences between the various construction methods DEPENDING ON THE COMPANY THAT MADE IT.

If you find an Arbor set-neck or neckthrough, it will not be as good as an Epiphone or Squire bolt-on, because Arbor can't make a good guitar.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

There, Newc said it very nicely. Lock up the topic, admins... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

maybe it's time we had a quick "Neckthru vs Bolt-on - The Sustain Myth" post pinned to the top of the tech forum, so people can be guided to it anytime this topic comes up. It'll save Newc a lot pain & suffering [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
          It'll save Newc a lot pain & suffering [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nahhh, he loves posting it... it helps to inflate his pompous-ity. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

thanks!

sorry for a repost

Comment

I've never noticed any difference in sustain with all of these construction methods. As long as the neck is in there nice and strong, it'll work fine.

I still encounter people who try to tell me how much more sustain a neck through gutiar has than a set-neck and especially a bolt-on. They can go suck a turd for all I care. Things like bridges, strings, woods, and set-up have a lot more impact on sustain than neck-to-body construction methods.

Having said all that in agreement with Newc, I tend to prefer bolt-ons, since you can easily remove the neck from the guitar. I'd like to get a neck-thru guitar eventually, once money allows it. I love the look of neck-thru gutiars, how you can paint the body and neck all the same color, and the neck just seamlessly attaches itself to the guitar body.

Comment

My bolt-on/V-trem MUTT has better sustain than my neckthru/stringthru King V. The V has good sustain, but the mutt is just sick.

Comment

The only differences I've noticed between neckthrough and bolt-on is with 5-string basses - the low B on a bolt-on sounds brighter and punchier than on a neckthrough.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You need to look at as only part of the whole. Get your best built, most super-sustain-filled guitar. I'll grab a piece of plywood bolted on with two screws and poorly fitted.

You play through a fender twin, I'll use an SLO. Gee, who is going to have more sustain?

Unless the instrument sounds like a banjo (which would be strings too low most likely or horrible frets) I wouldn't worry about the sustain thing too much.

Pete

Comment

I don't think that one necessarily sounds better than the other. But, bolt-ons definitely have their own distinctive sound when compared to a neck through, as a set neck is a bit different as well. I personally love the sound of all of them, bolt-on probably being my favorite.

Comment

I agree with Metalcop [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have found that set-necks and neck-thrus tend to have a slightly more 'precise' sound than bolt-ons, particularly on the lower strings. But we're not talking about a world of difference here. The two types definitely sound different, though. I prefer the better access to the high frets on a neckthru, though there are some bolt-on designs that minimize the heel size--not that Jackson uses them.

Comment

I'm with metalcop too, bolt-ons don't have less sustain, but they definetely have a different tone. (not worse, not better, just different) I like em all.

Comment

OK, here's a challenge for you pros. I recently submitted a MP3 in the MP3 section "some noise" (pretty smart of me huh! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ).... anyfuckingway, who can tell me whether I was playing a bolt-on or a neck-thru? I know my guitar playing sucks but you should be able to tell from the tone and sustain right?

edit: oh yeah, I DID use the same guitar for both parts, even the same settings on may rack, I didn't change jack shit.
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X