Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The replacement locking nut is to tall...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The replacement locking nut is to tall...

I have a KE3 with a 1-11/16ths" nut width. I replaced the standard Jackson nut with a R4 Schaller nut. The new Schaller one is higher off of the fretboard. How should I lower it? Sand it down?

Thanks
    Last edited by Mario8672; 04-09-2007, 06:14 PM.
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

or take it to someone who can do that for a small fee and not mess it up...id be afraid to do it myself...im sure a good tech can do it for cheap

and the best tool would be a router of some sort...sanding might come out uneven.
    My metal band Lucian Scott
    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
    Available Now!
    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

The Schaller/Floyd nuts are taller than the stock Jackson nuts.
      You could sand it down yourself with a sanding block... not hard really.
      But if you're unsure, take it to a pro and have them fit it properly.
      -Rick

Comment

I'd use a flat mill file, first. I had to machine down a set of saddles, recently, to match the neck radius. The belt sander took forever, and created way too much heat. The mill file made easy work of it. Just gotta make sure you file evenly, and check your work, frequently. fortunately, I have a set of digital mics and calipers. They are worth every penny.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

I was talking about sanding down the nut shelf (wood), not the nut.
          The nut is cast, not milled, so it doesn't take to kindly to being filed.
          -Rick

Comment

By "a small fee", do you mean something like $10?
            Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
            Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
            Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              I was talking about sanding down the nut shelf (wood), not the nut.
              The nut is cast, not milled, so it doesn't take to kindly to being filed.
              Ah, sorry. Was kinda left up to interpretation. I don't know about the nut, though. The saddles are cast, too, and I thinned them out, with little problem.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

what was wrong with the original, unless it was defective, i don't think the grief is worth it. i would just put the old one back. i would take it to a machine shop and tell them to take off a mm or 2. they might do it for a a six pack
                "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                  Ah, sorry. Was kinda left up to interpretation. I don't know about the nut, though. The saddles are cast, too, and I thinned them out, with little problem.
                  Yeah, I guess I could have qualified that statement a bit better.
                  Seriously though.
                  Take a sanding block to the shelf and give it a few passes. No need to involve an outside party for this one.
                  Just make a few passes and then check the fit. Do that over and over until you get it where you want it.
                  Just go slow and don't be too aggressive.
                  -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
                    By "a small fee", do you mean something like $10?
                    In general, most tech worth their salt (ie, actually employed as such and receiving a 1099 at the end of the year, not someone like me who pretends in their garage ) get at least $60 an hour. Expect a half hour to an hour for that job - realize that they need to set up your axe after the fact as well, which might take another half to a full hour...
                    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Working...
                    X