General Soldering/Pot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Soldering/Pot question

So I have multiple wires soldered to the pot, but some of them aren't effectively grounding out. So when I figet a wire on the pot, the tone will all of a sudden come through. Visually it looks pretty damn soldered in there. I'm going to resolder everything tomorrow. But before I started I thought I'd ask y'all:

1. Can solder go bad? Could this be the cause of the lack of connection?
    2. Do I need new pots? I mean, could the bottom of the pot be the problem?
    3. Maybe it's the switch? But I've tried 3 different switches, so I'm doubting that the switch is the problem. But I have soldered, attached, reattached, removed blah blah blah quite a bit.

I don't know. I was going to put some new pots in anyways. Let me know what you guys think. GRACIAS!!!

If you have more wires going to the same place on the pot, I advice you to to roll them together and solder them with one connection. Good connections look shiny. If you have only one wire that's not working, re-solder it. I got the same problem once too.

Comment

Using a little liquid rosin flux applied to the top of the pot with a tooth pick will work wonders. The solder will flow as the flux cleans the connections giving you a nice shiny solder joint.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I try to do as Nazgul suggested.I twist the group together solder the wires then attach to the pot.One tip take a piece of fine sand paper and rough the surface of the pot for a better solder joint.Doing this removes some of the coating on the pot.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
        X