Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do if the floyd wont return to zero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do if the floyd wont return to zero?

This is probably the most common question on a guitar tech board lol, but i need your help on this one.
    I got an import Jackson from mid-90's (you know that red/yellow one from the g-string threads [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )with lic. floyd called takeuchi or something. It got a Jackson logo besides the low e string.

The problem is that it wont stay in tune. it always goes slightly flat when i use it.
    The springs on the backside are brand new(couple of weeks old) and i've applied pencil lead to the studs that the floyd rocks on. The nut is ok too.
    Whats wrong?

Should i screw the whole thing and buy a new original floyd? If so, what model will fit in the guitar?

Re: What to do if the floyd wont return to zero?

it could be the knife edges on the trem itself are worn or the posts...one of the two. I have a couple guitars that stay sharp if I pull up on the bar but I rarley do that...I always been in the habit of diving on the bar before I went back to playing it anyway...musta been from using a std trems [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

The knife edges...is that the saddles or what?

Comment

The knife edges are what "ride" on the trem posts that come up from the guitar body. You may want to pull it apart and have a look at both of those wear areas.

Dave->
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Ah i see
          Should they be sharp? They look a little bit worn.
          Can I fix that with sandpaper/steelwool?

Comment

You might be able to shappen them up a bit with at file (not really reccommended, but it can be done if you're careful)

Is this the original trem in the Guitar?
            Sometime when you switch stuff around or build a guitar from parts, the witdth of the posts is not exactly the same as the witdth of the trem knife edges and it will cause HUGE tuning problems. Also, if the posts are not tight in the body you will have problems too.

Comment

Also, check to see if the posts the floyd pivots on are loose... if that's it, then there's a fix for it on this thread that I posted a few weeks ago.

Pete

Comment

Yes, its the original trem
                I noticed that one of the pots are a bit loose, well not so much that you can rock it back and forwards, but you can pull it out of the body.
                I'll see if I can fix the problems now
                Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                X