B string dissonance, very strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B string dissonance, very strange

jackson soloist pro with a schaller floyd rose. bridge pickup is a dimarzio humbucker from hell. when playing on the B string, with distortion, it sounds as if there is another note going on at the same time that is very, very out of tune with the first. Like almost another string, which is slightly detuned. This means that whenever I play notes on the B string they sound 'out of tune with themselves' if you see what i mean [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] . what can cause this? action is fine, no fret buzz. its not the nut. i have noticed on the saddle there is a sort of indent of the string, which the string rests in, could this be the cause?
    please help
    john [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: B string dissonance, very strange

It could be a problem with the bridge angle causing the b string to vibrate slightly on the front of the saddle, or a worn out saddle. If the bridge is tilted forward and upward you need to loosen the strings, tighten the spring claw, and retune until you have a slight rearward angle on the bridge. Also check your intonation, you didn't specify if the problem was with an open b string or fretted.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

It's the saddle, definitely. That indention is creating a false edge and the string is rattling against it. The only option is replacing the saddle. That will fix the problem right up.

Comment

And if that doesn't fix it try what I said! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        BM could be right but I don't think he gathered enough evidence to make his assumption.
        [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

thanks for the suggestions guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . tried giving the floyd some backward tilt. I still notice the problem however. I think that it is accentuated by the particular combination of pickup and overdrive pedal (dimarzio HFH and marshall jackhammer), as it is slightly noticeable on the other strings, particularly the high ones. however, the B string is still a lot worse. i checked the saddle of the G and E strings and they have the same sort of indent, with the black worn away, but they are nowhere near as bad sounding as the B. Any other sugggestions?

Comment

May I ask if this happens with every B string? Have you tried replacing it? I have definitely received "bad" strings a time or 2.

Dave->
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

good idea, i honestly didnt think of that! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] in the meantime i have placed a small piece of cloth under the saddle and swapped it with the A saddle which is not worn. still the problem remains, but not as bad. will try changing the string.

Comment

I've heard of similar problems where it originates from the nut, ie. a poorly fitting slot.

It might be worth looking at that too.

Comment

Working...
                X