Model 7 binding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 7 binding question

I managed to locate my balls, which were located in the purse of my wife, so I could muster up the courage to refinish a guitar. I’m going to use a paint stripper to get the old painted finish off. I think this will be easier for me due to I have had experience with chemicals (don’t ask, an 80’s thing). My concern is the body (model 7) has binding around it. Will the stripper melt the binding to a pile of goo? Thanks for any input.
    Bonus question: Is there a better pickup that will retro fit in the bridge and or neck? Also, is there a bridge out there that you can just repalce the stock one? Thanks again.
    ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Re: Model 7 binding question

Well, the binding is plastic, so I'm sure any chemical you use to strip might have a chance to damage it. Maybe someone else can be more specific...

*bump*
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

When stripping the paint from a bound body I always apply the stripper up to about 1/2" away from the binding. It's easier to sand the remaining paint around the edges and you'll end up with a nicer finished product.
      As far as the pups go, the stacked hums in there should sound pretty good no? I love the ones in my model 4s. (maybe they're different?)
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

mark's got the best way....keep it away from the binding and be careful.

i've got stacked hums in my spectrum and it doesn't sound like a humbucker... i don't think they're supposed to, and that it's more of a hum cancelling thing. i'd try a hot rails first, and if you don't like that, then bust out the router.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

True, the stacked hums don't sound like a regular hum. They do sound better and cleaner than any single coils I've heard though.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks for the input [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Working...
            X