Which Locking Tuners Do you Prefer and Why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Locking Tuners Do you Prefer and Why

I'm putting a Strat together and have decided that locking tuners seem to be the best option. I've seen a few different types out there and wondered what you guys have tried and prefer?

Cheers
    www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Originally posted by Speiro View Post
    I'm putting a Strat together and have decided that locking tuners seem to be the best option. I've seen a few different types out there and wondered what you guys have tried and prefer?

Cheers
    My American Deluxe Strat came stock with Sperzel's. The combination of the Sperzel's and the two pivot point trem really keep it in tune quite well, not to mention string changes are a breeze.
    I have 2 other hard-tail axes with Sperzel's. Highly recommended.

Comment

I only have direct, hands on experience with Sperzels. I bought my first set back around 1992, 1993 or so for my Ibanez. They worked so well for me that I never saw the need to use anything else.
      In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Sperzels are number 1 for me in look and feel followed by Schaller locking tuners and Planet Waves for their drop in direct replacement ability for Jackson/Charvels. They also cut the string as you start winding them. They also match the original screw holes. In a nut shell, I use all 3 depending on the application, but Sperzels are really nice.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

My only complaint with Sperzels is that they don't seem to allow for the accurate fine-tuning that I had hoped for. I already have Wilkinson EZ-LOKs on one Jackson that are a bit more precise, and have just installed some on a project neck.
          sigpic

Comment

I have both Sperzels and Schallers and I prefer the Schallers. They are way more comfortable to lock and unlock and also feel more accurate when tuning. Also Sperzels somehow seem to fall apart easier, I had that a couple of times. I think Sperzels look better though.
            Last edited by max; 04-07-2007, 09:34 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

i've got a set of sperzels and a set of grover locking tuners. both are fine, but the grovers have to be unscrewed slightly on the top of the post when you're changing strings. haven't tried the schaller locking tuners, but i love their tuners in general.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                My only complaint with Sperzels is that they don't seem to allow for the accurate fine-tuning that I had hoped for. I already have Wilkinson EZ-LOKs on one Jackson that are a bit more precise, and have just installed some on a project neck.
                That's interesting as I can get the Wilkinson ones a hell of a lot cheaper over here than the Sperzels. I'm going to be using these on my Strat project with a vintage type trem and to be honest probably won't even use the trem. I'm so used to having FR trems I'm just worried about tuning stability.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone.

Tony

Comment

Sperzels are cool, but I'd go with Schallers if given the choice. The little pin inside the Sperzels that locks the string against the inside of the post shaft can seize up. I've been told this has happened to several people, but the pin always eventually comes loose, usually.
                  Well, I got a Carvin DC400 a few years back, the high E pin seized up, I couldn't get the string out for awhile, had to yank it out real hard. Then, of course, I couldn't get a new string in there, because the pin just wouldn't move and was blocking the hole. Carvin sent me another, they had never heard of one getting totally stuck and not moving again. I've still got the old one laying around, I've smacked it on concrete, with a hammer, shot WD40 into it, did everything to it, but the pin still will not budge!
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The pin binding up in the post does that on all the locking tuners I've had (Scaller, Sperzel, Planet Wave and Grover). I beleive the posts are all machined the same diameter inside and the posts, and the pins are the same diameter on each, so you'll get this problem from time to time. I just back out the screw a little more or remove it completely when this happens.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Hmm, I thought the Schallers were a little different for some reason. Though, I haven't seen one of them in quite a long time.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, my new Petrucci JP6 has the Schallers and the first time I changed strings on it last week the small diameter string posts/pins hung up. I just had to push on the string a little harder

Comment

The web site over here that I usually get my parts from has Grovers, Wilkinsons and a no-name set so I think I will end up trying the Grovers. Sperzels are twice the price over here.

Comment

I have the Grovers, they are great, really don't have to do much with the screwdriver slot on the peg top, usually just slide in the string and they lock as you tighten. way easy.

I have to try the Schallers next.
                            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by Speiro View Post
                              That's interesting as I can get the Wilkinson ones a hell of a lot cheaper over here than the Sperzels.
                              Note that the Wilkinsons are made in Korea, Sperzels are made in...help me out here...Germany? I'm not indicting anyone's quality or lack thereof (heck, I 'm an importer from the factory the Wilkinson's come out of!), but note that the workmanship/materials may differ between the two...
                              Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Working...
                              X