Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a problem w/Floyd saddle

Guys,

On one of my guitars with an OFR, when I bend a full note step (or more) on my high E string anywhere above the 12th fret, it sounds like the note is bottoming-out on a higher fret. However, it also makes that "tinging", screachy sound when I bend on the highest fret. I can't tell for sure, but the sound seems to be coming from the saddle. I can actually quite easily move the string back and forth quite easily in the saddle. It only moves a hair, but it moves.

Do I need to file the string take-off point on the Floyd saddle? I suppose I could just put on a new string and see if that's the problem...
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Have you done any truss rod adjustments lately? I would say raise your action slightly, and tighten the truss rod just a little(maybe a quarter turn) and see if that helps, but I'm not sure what you mean by moving the string on the saddle?

Comment

Burn,

I can grab the string between the saddle and pickup and move the string side-to-side just a tad.
      "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

If it's just the string ON the saddle runner, thats fine, but if the string and or the (for lack of a better term) pinch block are moving, tighten them. I have a problem with my high E actually popping out of the saddle sometimes! But I use 008's. Damn string is like a hair.

Comment

It's quite difficult to help in these matters, but here's a couple of easy steps I would suggest, to get a feel for what's wrong:

- put on a new string or...
          - swap the saddle with the low E, including the small square locking/string block
          - check all bolts on the trem for "tightness"
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Could it not be that one of your pickups is raised too high and the string catching on that?

Comment

Floyds just aren't as well made today as they used to be. The one on my Star sometimes gives me this weird high ringing overtone on the B string. When I adjust the fine tuner, it usually goes away.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Joe, try bending the chrome "fine tuner adjustment spring" upwards. Wtf is that, I hear you say ...you know, the one with the six "fingers" that press on the locking bolts. That way, the fingers will press harder on the bolt and press it against the fine tuner, maybe solving your problem.
                You will have to disassemble the trem to do this correctly, btw. While you're at it, I would file the bottom of the problematic fine tuner a wee bit too.
                Last edited by jackson1; 04-06-2007, 09:20 AM.
                Henrik

Comment

I get what you're saying. I'll have to try that at next string change and see if it helps. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    I'll have to try that at next string change and see if it helps.
                    Around Christmas time then?
                    Henrik

Comment

Yeah, probably. I rotate between other guitars, so I don't need to change strings that much.

Comment

Guys, thanks for the advice. Problem solved. I'm not sure which 2 things I did fixed it, but I gently filed the take-off point of the saddle and then put on a new string. Thanks...

Comment

Sweet, Pete!
                          Henrik

Comment

Working...
                          X