Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLOYD ROSE vs KAHLER

hi everyone [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Being new to the world of floyd roses, and having just ordered a guitar with my first floyd rose (which i am very excited about) i have heard much criticism on it from freinds and other players opinons, saying it is a pain in the arse and to hard to maintain. Many seem to think the Kahler systems are much better for some reason. Also i have read that my guitar hero's Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King says floyd roses suck, and i dunno why! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Having not much knowledge on tremelo systems, and differences on pros and cons on these bridges, having played only string thru guitars , any info is helpful on why there is much debate on floyds against kahler's. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: FLOYD ROSE vs KAHLER

I personally hate both. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the Floyd no questions asked.

Comment

Floyds rule!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Kahlers suck! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

FLOYDS!!!!!
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Kahlers and Floyds each have their pros and cons. Floyds are the best for extreme heavy trem abuse. Kahlers are more like stop tailpieces in that the other strings don't go nearly as much out of tune when you do string bends. They're much better adjustable for height and string spacing, which you can't do the latter on a Floyd, and have to use shims to adjust individual string height.
          The Floyd is double-locking; the strings are clamped down at both ends. Kahler just locks above the nut.

The Floyd is by far more common, but the Kahler is cool too. Those who don't like Kahler, that's their choice, but they're wrong. I like both types for their own attributes, and find Kahlers last forever
          as long as you clean and oil them at least every 3 months, while Floyds wear out in a few years. Of course Floyds get used harder too. The weak link of the Kahler is the locking clamp which is less sturdy and wears out quicker than a Floyd
          nut. If you had to choose only one starting out, I guess I'd say take the Floyd, because most techs know them and don't know Kahlers.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

BTW your Buds may only have had experience with floyd lic.copies.Big difference, an original floyd is the best floating trem period.Even the floyd low pro is top shelf.The shaller floyds are just as good.All made in the same factory. (Germany)The lower quality copies do not perform as well or last as long.Some lic.copys JT-6 and JT-580 work very well but still are a far cry from the real thing.For example I have a 81 fernandes strat head 2 hum with an original non fine tuner floyd and it still has 100% of its chrome finish no pitting, the studs are still 100%,as well the saddles and locking blocks.This floyd is a tesament to HIGH QUALITY. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

There is also a tone difference between the two. Floyds sound brighter than Kahler cams.I like them both as they each have their own positives and negatives. If I had to choose one, I would go with a Floyd most likely because I am used to the action of those units having played Floyd Rose equipped guitars almost since the day I started playing. I think more and more people are becoming interested in Kahlers these days.

Comment

Comparing a properly set up Kahler and a properly set up floyd is no contest - the floyd will stay in tune much better.

Also, floyds can be set to have no 'pull back' or no floating action, where you can only do divebombs. This improves the tone a bit in my opinion, and if you break a string it stays in tune, and it makes it possible to do bends with 'unbent' notes much easier.

My other gripe about Kahlers is the way the strings pop into the unit - with no lockdown. AND they are riding on that tone-sucking roller. Ugh.

Pete

Comment

I prefer Kahlers any day of the week.....The Pro flatmount model that is. I havent used the trem arm in about 10 years and Kahlers are like having a fixed bridge. Any time I use a Floyd and do a wild Ted Nugent across the fretboard bend, the Floyds lift really high, and dampen the strings against the pickups. Thats friggin annoying. I think if youre one of those guys whos like 130 pounds and uses the trem alot, the Floyd is your best bet, but if you want something that isnt so sensitive and stays rock solid in place, Kahlers rule........

Comment

Umm...

I have a Kahler tremolo, that locks at the nut, and bridge. Its similar to a floyd rose, but I think its better. No roller saddles, and it floats. A bit of a pin in the ass to setup tho...

Comment

Originally posted by GWARGHOUL:
                      Umm...

I have a Kahler tremolo, that locks at the nut, and bridge. Its similar to a floyd rose, but I think its better. No roller saddles, and it floats. A bit of a pin in the ass to setup tho...
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Weren't those the crappy Spyder trems that came on some Fender HM Strats? If I remember correctly, I think Floyd sued Kahler for making that trem.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's probably a Spyder or Steeler; they were designed like Floyds to try to get the players who liked Floyds. Floyd Rose
                        sued them to stop making them. The Kahler most people are talking about is the flatmount Pro, and the Flyer which was a cheaper version of the Pro. They are quite different in design from the Floyd Rose.

I have a Spyder on one of my guitars
                        and it's just as well-made as my Schaller Floyd and OFR on my other guitars, so it's not crappy in the least Toejam.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I thought Kahler was sued for making the "Steeler" tremolos.

Comment

Depends on the application,for really heavy whammy abuse I prefer a Floyd but, if I'm not beatin the hell out of the whammy bar(not a lot of dive bombs)I prefer a Kahler most of the time,just less of a pain in the ass,IMHO,of course!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

I've got one of those kahlers that looks like a floyd,the baseplate is shaped like a JT-580 tapered a little.It has a huge sustain block and is a very heavy unit. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X