Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another stupid idea ?

Hi
    Ive seen the Kramer Ferrington guitar and it looks really cool. I was thinking about trying to make my own Jackson style one. Has anyone tried anything like this? Could I use a Jackson neck from an electric guitar on it? Its just an idea at the moment and Im sure there will be many set-backs that I haven't considered. I know it seems weird but i want a cooler looking acoustic with more frets! What do you guys think about the idea?
    [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Another stupid idea ?

Sounds good to me, but I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to acoustics - I want a deep body, not a thinline like the Ferrington or Warlock acoustic.

But feel free to experiment [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

What about scale length a 24 fret neck on a 22 fret body? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I haven't thought about the details yet lol! I dont really have a clue about making guitars but I just thought it would be cool. How hard can it be? [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] Im not sure about what I would do for the body or the bridge. Could I make a body?
        But dont worry, Im not gonna start ripping up guitars to get parts for it. Im just thinking through some ideas.

Comment

You could get a body blank from warmoth, shape cut with the neck pocket-then route it all out except for some wood around the neck pocket, and a place to attach the bridge, then affix a solid top of some sort with crazy soundholes cut in it. I don't know if it would sound very good, but it wouldn't be dificult to do, depending on how skilled you are with a router.

Comment

Cool
            Im not too bothered about getting a beatiful sound out of it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I just want a cool looking acoustic type axe to practice my chops around the house. Could a floyd rose be put on it? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] hmmm...
            Who is Warmoth btw?

Comment

Originally posted by kit robertshaw:
              Who is Warmoth btw?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">http://www.warmoth.com/

Comment

I've never bought anything from Warmoth personally, but they have a great rep. for making outstanding guitar bodies and necks. Sure, they are a little pricey, but you pay for quality, right?

Comment

"There are no stupid ideas. Just stupid people who have ideas."

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                  Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Fender currently make Strat & Tele shaped thinline acoustics. If you don't care too much about the noise you make, they'd certainly be a cheaper and less troublesome option than building your own.

Or you could have Danny Ferrington build one for you. He could probably make you a neckthru Rhoads acoustic without too much trouble, if that's what you wanted [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                    X