Floyd Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Woes

I'm having some tuning woes with my Original Floyd on a DK-1. It worked perfectly for a couple years, never went out of tune despite the violent whammy work but now it seems like every time I go to use the Floyd, the strings go out of tune. One of my friends suggested I needed a new nut but I don't think that's right since it's a locking nut. I'm not sure what could cause it. The saddles seem not to have any burrs either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Floyd Woes

It's Rose not Woes..

Come on, no baby talk here! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But seriously... Despite being metal, the locking nut itself can wear out. The strings actually wear grooves into the metal. It depends on how tightly you lock them down.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

My buddy had this problem on his Sl2H. I narrowed down the offending lockdown block and turned it sideways! Problem solved. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Try turning the locknut blocks sideways. If that doesn't work than look at the trem posts and the edges of the trem itself. Sometimes they get a groove in them which messes with the stability. The easy fix is to turn the trem posts 1/2 a turn so that there is a fresh side for the trem edge to rest against. If it is worn all the way around then you need to replace the posts.

Comment

Like the dudes said, that's most likely a locknut problem. Pull the clamps off and look at where the strings pass under them and over the nut. If there's a groove worn into either one, replace it.

Comment

Hey John, I see we think alike! But I'm quicker! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X