R4 "Off-Set" locking nut question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4 "Off-Set" locking nut question

I have a Jackson "licensed" neck made by Mighty Mite.
    Before knowing that I needed an R4 nut, I tried installing an R2 nut and noticed it was "off-set".

I then found the correct R4 nut on eBay, and the description stated that it was "off-set", so I bought it.

When I went to install it today, I noticed it also did not line up with the fretboard, just like the R2.

Did they ship me the wrong nut?
    Or are the holes drilled incorrectly on my neck?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like the holes are drilled incorrectly... there arent any offset floyd nuts that Im aware of.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
      Looks like the holes are drilled incorrectly... there arent any offset floyd nuts that Im aware of.
      Yeah, that's what I thought too ... until I read the description in this auction.
      Why would he go as far as to state "off-set" if there was no such thing?
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5773&rd=1&rd=1

I just assumed it was a "Jackson thing".
      I dunno.

Maybe by "off-set", he meant f'd up.

The holes in the neck appear to be straight ... but so do the holes in the nut. (?)
      If worse comes to worse, I'll just dowel the holes and top mount the nut, but I was really just hoping someone could educate me on what an "off-set" nut is.
      Last edited by Model1VH2; 04-04-2007, 09:50 PM.

Comment

have you tried flipping the nut around?
        Hail yesterday

Comment

You cant flip a Floyd nut around, one side is tall and goes against the fretboard, the other side isnt and goes to the tuners.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Do you think I could center the nut, mark the holes, and partially drill them out from the top?
            When I say "partially", I mean not all the way through.
            Maybe just enough to give the screws some wiggle room and allow the nut to line up, then tighten it on straight. ???

Comment

I think the holes in the neck are drilled wrong. I had a MM neck w/floyd shelf and rear mount holes in the shop that I built a body for. I temporarily mounted a nut on it just so I could make sure the strings lined up as I drilled the neck holes in the neck. The nut fit on the neck perfect. Looks like you got a blem. My suggestion would be to return it. If that isn't an option you will have to dowel it.

Comment

By offset mounting holes, the seller meant the two mounting holes are offset towards the front....but almost all floyd nuts are like that (I have seen weird thin floyds that made the holes appear to be 'centered').

They don't make floyds that have the holes offset side-to-side to fix your problem. To fix your problem, you'd have to make the existing holes 'oblong' so you can slide the nut over to the middle of the neck (DON'T drill them larger, you'd have to get a dremel with a 1/8" tile cutter and put that in the hole and then move it sideways to make the hole into an oblong or oval). The bad part of doing that means you'd have to also 'oblong' the counterbored holes in the back side of the neck, and that would look ugly (and you run the risk of grinding off the wood that the screw bottoms out on). Doweling it and starting over could also get ugly. Suggest you email the pics you have to MM and get a replacement. You'll be a lot happier in the long run doing that.

Comment

I bought the neck off eBay (metalshopmusic).
                  Unfortunately the guy has a 7-day return policy, but I emailed him anyway.

If he won't exchange it, I'll just repair it.
                  Thanks for the tips MountainDog.
                  The neck will be painted, so most (if not all) of the "ugly" should be disguised pretty well.
                  Last edited by Model1VH2; 04-05-2007, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Regarding the Dremel Tile Cutter, I just used one to fix the two drilled floyd nut holes on a guitar I just got. The holes were cut with a slight backwards angle so when the screws were tightened, the nut angled back away from the end of the fingerboard. I went to the hardware store looking for something that I could use to 'ream or grind' the inside of the hole to give the screws more wiggle room, and found the tile cutter. Worked perfect in the nut mount holes. I then found the neck was too far away from the bridge for proper intonation, so I used the same cutter to elongate the neck thru holes in the body so I could slide the neck a little towards the bridge to fix the intonation issue.

Here it is:

Comment

Gotta love a dremel. Handy little tool.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Good tips MountainDog.
                        Thanks.

Comment

I think your neck is fucked. I'd send it back.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Plug the holes and install a top mount nut.
                            Don't risk weakening the neck any more by filling and re-drilling new holes.
                            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                              I think your neck is fucked. I'd send it back.
                              I wouldn't go as far as to say it's "fucked".

I emailed the seller yesterday and asked for an exchange.
                              I'll let you guys know what his response is, of if there even is one.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                              X